Menu

Got a K12 Human Odyssey-now what?

I've heard all these rave reviews about K12's Human Odyssey so when I found one at Half Price Books for $18 I thought I should buy it. I have vol 1-pre-history to 1400. Since I didn't use K12 I never read that closely about the usage of it so now that I have it, I need some help.

Now what? Do you just have the student read it independently? Can I find a syllabus anywhere for it?

Is there a list of historical fiction anywhere that corresponds to it?

Finally, what grades is this "ideal" for? Is it for junior high or high school?

Thanks

Ann

Ann, sorry I am not much help. I read it with my newly turned 13yo. She loves :001_wub: it. But, that is all we do...read.

There were some posts on the K-8 board about some supplements.

BTW, good price! I think I paid about $65 for that volume.

That one, I believe, is the 7th grade text. There are student pages that go along with it, you might be able to find them on Amazon or e-bay. I don't think there is a list of historical fiction to go along with it. Their 7th grade LA does cover some ancients again.

I think it's a great book for a wider range of ages than that, depending on the reading/interest level of the child. It made *me* want to sit down and read it when we got it in the mail! Definitely look through it some more - I think it's a keeper, myself. :)

Yes the thread linked above is where I initially came across K12HO posted by LuckyMama. I was interested in it because it is suppose to tie in nicely with SOTW 1 with my youngest. I was looking for Logic Stage Ancients. You can use it just for reading - LuckyMama ties it in with The World in Ancient Times series by OUP. To get more out of it I have ordered and just received the Teacher Guide for it. It has a slightly different name called K12 Intermediate World History A Teacher Guide which I have just received via eBay and there is also the Student Pages which I am waiting to snag a copy off eBay as well.

HTH.

I used the first K12 book as a jumping off point for my high school dd. We started wtm late and she never learned to outline so I had her read the book, outline, and rewrite outlines. Since it is broken into 4 parts, we did one part per quarter. After she did the reading and outlining, I had her choose areas to explore. She gathered information and then choose some projects to show her learning. Some were just summarizing what she learned, some were opinion essays, some were making things or cooking food and then writing briefly about it. She learned alot and really enjoyed doing history this way. At the end of each section, she also gave a presentation to her brothers about what she learned.

We just finished with Human Odyssey Vol. 1 today! It was a fabulous history experience for both of us :) As was stated above, we combined the K12 text, the student and teacher pages, the Oxford Press volumes and oodles of library resources (books, magazines, dvds).

We are looking forward to moving on to Volume 2 (1400-1914) in the fall :D

I picked up the student pages and teacher pages from Amazon and Alibris (look for "k12 Intermediate World History A"). It's aimed at 7th grade for k12, but I'm using this one for 5th grade and the first half of 6th grade. Then vol. 2 of HO and the B version of the student/teacher guides and k12 American History before 1865, American History since 1865 (which go along with the Joy Hakim History of Us books) to cover from mid-6th through 8th.

K12 using the two American history courses for 5th and 6th, then the Intermediate World History for 7th and 8th.

I think it's a great book for a wider range of ages than that, depending on the reading/interest level of the child. It made *me* want to sit down and read it when we got it in the mail! Definitely look through it some more - I think it's a keeper, myself. :)

:iagree:

I used this to for two years (with lots of supplemental reading and historical fiction) for Ancients and Medieval with a 5th/6th and a 7th/8th. (Our Medieval studies actually took us into vol 2 as well). It's a great resource for outlining and great to introduce and give a nice, narrative overview. Sometimes we delved a little deeper with other stuff and sometimes we didn't.:D