Menu

Desperate for math advice...

We are beginning the homeschooling journey this year, and I will have a Junior in high school, planning on attending college. She has not excelled at math, but is not bad at it. Some of the problem is that she simply lacks confidence. Some of it is that in PS she has been allowed to move from math class to math class without actually mastering concepts. She is set to take pre-calculus next year, and I am trying to figure out which curriculum to use. I am stuck on Teaching Textbooks, Thinkwell or Math U See.

Math is not my strong point, so I need something that I don't have to teach (I do have a tutor standing by if necessary). I keep reading that Teaching Textbooks is not as advanced as other curriculum, and I think that would be ok for her. If some / much of it is review that would not be a bad thing. I also hear great things about Math U See, but is that something that is teacher intensive?

Her senior year she will probably take math at the local community college, so I really only need to get her through the next year, but also prep her for the SATs...

Someone please advise me... I'm so confused. Thanks!

I would be more inclined to do a rigorous algebra 2 text to sure up all the concepts and prepare her for rigorous pre-calculus in her senior year. Since she's already had algebra 2, she will probably be able to more a bit more quickly through whatever text you choose, and then can just move onto the next when she's done. I'd also add in specific work on SAT math test questions in prep for the test.

IMO moving now to pre-calculus really won't help her cement anything she's already done as it's a lot of new concepts. There's also less of this on the SAT than there is of algebra 1 and 2 and geometry.

No suggestion for a specific text, but I hear a lot of good things about Lials. We use Saxon, but it isn't necessarily easy to transfer in at the point she's at right now - again, from what I've heard here. :)

Can you go to the library to get an ACT prep book (The Real ACT) and have her do a practice math section? Then look at it to see where her strengths and problems are.

I, too, am wondering just how solid those foundational concepts are. If they are good, then go on to Pre-Calc. If they aren't, it's worth it to build up what hasn't yet been learned (whether Alg 2 or Geometry) ESPECIALLY if the SAT/ACT comes into play as Pre-Calc topics aren't really on there.

Incidentally, yes, I meant the ACT prep book and not the SAT. The ACT is more direct math knowledge IMO. You may have her take the SAT later on, but the ACT will give a better indication of areas missed. Have her do the practice test WITHOUT time limits. Timing only comes into play with the actual test. You're assessing knowledge.

We are beginning the homeschooling journey this year, and I will have a Junior in high school, planning on attending college. She has not excelled at math, but is not bad at it. Some of the problem is that she simply lacks confidence. Some of it is that in PS she has been allowed to move from math class to math class without actually mastering concepts. She is set to take pre-calculus next year, and I am trying to figure out which curriculum to use. I am stuck on Teaching Textbooks, Thinkwell or Math U See.

Math is not my strong point, so I need something that I don't have to teach (I do have a tutor standing by if necessary). I keep reading that Teaching Textbooks is not as advanced as other curriculum, and I think that would be ok for her. If some / much of it is review that would not be a bad thing. I also hear great things about Math U See, but is that something that is teacher intensive?

Her senior year she will probably take math at the local community college, so I really only need to get her through the next year, but also prep her for the SATs...

I would NOT recommend going into MUS at the Pre-calc level. My husband did their Pre-Alg. through Alg. 2 with my son, but they could not make it through Pre-calc even though they started it twice.

Blessings,

I would suggest that you have your daughter take a placement test to determine where she should be placed. You can find placement tests for many programs on the internet. If she has just been moved on without mastering the material, as you say, she may need to go back to something much earlier.

Do not hestitate or be afraid to go back to wherever she is supposed to be. It will be much less stressful than putting her into something that she doesn't have sufficient background for.

Yes, Math-U-See is teacher-intensive. I wouldn't recommend it for that level. And yes, Teaching Textbooks is not that advanced, but is easy, ready-to-go and can be done independently. I'm not familiar with the other program you mentioned.

What I do suggest is to take a placement test. Then, find a good textbook for that level, whether it is Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry or whatever. And get video instruction that accompanies the textbook, so she can watch the video, then go to the textbook and do the problems. That way, you don't have to teach it.

Just do a little research on this board and elsewhere on the internet to find a good textbook and accompanying videos. Best wishes.

See what your options are for her senior year at the college, then work backwards. If they have remedial (intermediate algebra), then I would make that her first class. And, I would do another algebra for junior year. I just finished my second junior, we did Algebra 2 in junior year, my first did well on his SAT math score coming out of Algebra 2 right before the test. Dd is studying for the June SAT, and she just finished Algebra 2. We did BJU Algebra 2 w/dvds or online dvds, and it was just the right pace for us. I am going to do an Intermediate Algebra text for dd's senior year at home so she can have a full year to do it (I opted out of doing cc because it does the same amount of work in a semester, and I think that is too fast). If she gets through it quickly, then I will get a precalculus text to finish. I am going to let her comfort decide. I rushed my son in math to get to calculus for college (and he tested into it), but it was a disaster. Both of my dc are good students, but more creative/liberal arts types. For us, slow and steady with plenty of review for math is what works.

Guest MrAlgebra

Hi!

In my opinion, it depends on what she wants to do in college. If she wants to go into an engineering or science degree, then some portion of the calculus sequence will be necessary, and there's more pressure to get her moving along.

If she's going to be working in almost any other area, then Pre-Calculus, Statistics, and/or some form of Discrete Mathematics will likely be the upper end of the math classes she will need to take. This means that you have plenty of time to solidify the understanding of algebra without feeling rushed in the time she has left in high school.

Calculus is only useful to a very small handful of students, even though the traditional curriculum seems to push them towards it from the time they are small from arithmetic to algebra to calculus, in that order. An understanding of statistics is much more useful for the vast majority of people, and though it also requires an understanding of the basics of algebra, there's an emphasis on practical knowledge over mathematical theory.

Regards,

MrAlgebra

I would recommend Math-U-See and refer you to their website because they now are offering online courses, which will make this so much less parent/teacher-intensive. We have used the Pre-Calculus program with both of our daughters and love it.

Thank you for the input so far. I was very interested in Chalkdust, until I saw the cost. It does seem to make sense to have her take an Algebra 2 class again - but what about transcripts? Half of her high school time will come from the public school transcript which will show Geometry and Algebra 2. So if I have her take Algebra 2 again, what do I call it on a transcript?

As far as college - she wants to go into international affairs, so history and language intensive.

Thanks for the input so far!