Menu

S/O Apologia Gen. Science: What specific supplements to add for visual learners

We are going to use this course for 7th grade next year and I've got lesson plans downloaded from Core Foundations as well as an experiment kit sitting on the shelf ready to go. I just want to know what suggestions there may be for supplementing like 2Cents suggested in the other thread when she said:

We liked it but we also do a lot of supplementation with other texts, media and outside classes to keep science interesting. Apologia alone would IMO be dry. So we beef it up significantly.

I want to keep my science loving dd enthused and I know she'd love it if we added some good visuals through supplemental books and media, etc. We're going to do this together and we are both visual learners/communicators, and I do see the benefit of supplementing. Keeping this in mind, I'd love to have some specific recommendations from those of you that know the course. (Please don't use this thread for critiques of Apologia, that is not what I'm asking for or needing here.)

We aren't going to continue next year with the co-op we've been participating in, so science is all up to me now. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Blessings,

Lucinda

What type of DVD's do you use? Living stories connected with the lessons obviously, but other than that what else?

Just science documentaries when I can find ones that correlate with that week's module.

When have the General Science course on dvd. They include links that bring up diagrams or little videos. It's nothing fantastic, but still nice to have. We also have Prentice Hall books we find CHEAP. I keep them laying around for extra reading or just to look at the pictures.

I know some people say Apologia is boring, but my ds is really enjoying it. Science is now his favorite subject.

Just science documentaries when I can find ones that correlate with that week's module.

When have the General Science course on dvd. They include links that bring up diagrams or little videos. It's nothing fantastic, but still nice to have. We also have Prentice Hall books we find CHEAP. I keep them laying around for extra reading or just to look at the pictures.

I know some people say Apologia is boring, but my ds is really enjoying it. Science is now his favorite subject.

Thanks Clover11! I like your ideas and will remember them. And you know, there is no one curriculum that fits the needs of all people. I'm thankful beyond words that we have so many options to choose from. And I'm glad to hear that your ds loves science and that Apologia works well for him. I have a feeling that it will do the same for my dd, but time will tell.

Blessings,

Lucinda