Menu

For 7th grade science, I've been thinking about

using Apologia General Science next year. The only reason I am doubting this is b/c I have switched curricula from just about every other subject area for next year! I don't do this. I've never switched it up so much, and now that I am, I am doubting every subject, inlcuding science while I'm at it :glare:

We have been VERY weak in science, so I initially figured Gen Sci would be a good jumping in point. Right? Wrong? Other curricula besides Apologia to consider?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I've used GS with 2 dd's now and am very happy with it. It is a good program. I did not buy the lab kit either, but I did collect the lab supplies over the summer and put them in a box so that they were ready to use. I found that if I didn't do that ahead of time, the experiments wouldn't get done.

Also, I spent about a week or so teaching my dd how to take notes from the textbook by going through the first module with her. After that, she sailed on her own and did great.

I failed to do both of the above things (collecting supplies and teaching note taking) with first dd, so many times experiments didn't get completed, and she didn't do as well as 2nd dd because she didn't know how to study from a text book.

HTH

I've used GS with 2 dd's now and am very happy with it. It is a good program. I did not buy the lab kit either, but I did collect the lab supplies over the summer and put them in a box so that they were ready to use. I found that if I didn't do that ahead of time, the experiments wouldn't get done.

Also, I spent about a week or so teaching my dd how to take notes from the textbook by going through the first module with her. After that, she sailed on her own and did great.

I failed to do both of the above things (collecting supplies and teaching note taking) with first dd, so many times experiments didn't get completed, and she didn't do as well as 2nd dd because she didn't know how to study from a text book.

HTH

ABQMOM,

Yes, this is helpful input - thank you! After looking at the list, the lab supplies seem easy enough to get and I'll take your advice and put it together this summer. Also, I would not have thought to teach my ds to take notes so I appreciate your input for this idea as well. I'm getting excited for my ds! He can't wait to finally get some solid science in and I am glad for any tips to help him succeed. Thanks again.

If you're considering this, take a look at the Red Wagon Tutorials. These are used to support the Apologia books. I haven't used them myself but they look interesting. The teacher used to teach for the Potter School. You can buy previous versions of his recorded lectures on ebay for $100 or you can buy the newest versions or enroll in live classes through his website.

Do a search on a Red Wagon and you should find a number of other messages regarding these tutorials.