Menu

Ok, Now they want to learn Latin

sweetbaby

We have studied Elem. Spanish this year and now my dc just informed me that they didn't want to continue Spanish but rather Latin. Where did it come from? I don't know. LOL! I have read some wonderful information of how great it is to teach Latin but I don't have any idea of which Latin program to try. What is a great Latin program for someone who doesn't know any Latin herself? Ha! This is for a soon to be 4th grader and two fifth graders (twins). We are also on a strict budget. ;)

Thanks!

We've had great success with Latin for Children here! My son loves the program (it has been a good fit for him), and I like the layout & organization. There is no teacher's manual as all the information is in the Primer written to the student. The optional DVD's can help teach to the kids if the parent doesn't feel confident (or for a change of pace even if the parent does!).

Check out samples etc at Classical Academic Press. This is definitely a program worth considering!

I'm sure others will jump in with others to consider / their favorite programs (and a search on the forums will undoubtedly lead to other similar threads).

Also check out the list of different Latin programs at Paula's Archives, as well as here.

Is a Christian Latin program alright ? I'll be using Prima Latina with my 10 and 8yr old , and my 5yr old will just follow along . I was able to get the Manual , pronunciation CD and they have a DVD program on the used boards . I look forward to learning along with them with this program :>)

I loved the looks of Lively Latin but can't use a program that relies on the computer . We'll be moving and unfortunatley will be stuck with dial up .

Well, I hate to add fuel to the indecision fire, but we like Latin for Children and Latin Prep (So You Really Want To Learn Latin) from galore park.

Smiles,

Shalynn

9 is the very youngest I would recommend for Latin Prep. 10 is much safer. The complexity ramps up pretty fast.

Best wishes

Laura

Thanks everyone! Dh had been set on Spanish during this past year but after telling him about some of the great Latin programs and hearing about the benefits of learning Latin, the boys won!:hurray:They have been wanting to learn Latin so badly so I'm really glad the principal has given his ok. I have been reviewing the sites along with the comparison chart and Lively Latin looks great! I love how it incorporates Art studies and a little bit of History.

Thanks so much!