Menu

Talk to me about Sonlight Cores

Only in cores D and up :). In the earlier cores they are independent of the chronology and are chosen based upon reading ability. The early readers are GREAT for developing reading fluency and confidence though, we are doing the grade 3 readers this fall. It is a great progression from the K to the grades 4/5 readers moving from CVC words right on up to chapter books.

Then in D and up, they are tied to the chronology and require a competent reader.

That is a tricky question :). SL cores are updated almost every year, so it depends on both the Core, and the year you have as to what you'll be getting if you buy a used copy. Some years there aren't many changes, other years there are book changes, and yet other years SL does a BIG overhaul of their guides and you get a LOT of changes as to how the IGs are structured and what they include.

Let me see if I can find a page for you at the SL website, it basically lists all the changes that have been made to the cores over the years. Personally, I wouldn't buy a core that was more than 10 years old, because there was a major change in the late '90s which gave us the IG types we have now (more or less).

This really helped me when I was buying used cores and deciding which editions I was willing to buy :).

http://www.sonlight.com/ig-update-chart.html

That is a tricky question :). SL cores are updated almost every year, so it depends on both the Core, and the year you have as to what you'll be getting if you buy a used copy. Some years there aren't many changes, other years there are book changes, and yet other years SL does a BIG overhaul of their guides and you get a LOT of changes as to how the IGs are structured and what they include.

Let me see if I can find a page for you at the SL website, it basically lists all the changes that have been made to the cores over the years. Personally, I wouldn't buy a core that was more than 10 years old, because there was a major change in the late '90s which gave us the IG types we have now (more or less).

This really helped me when I was buying used cores and deciding which editions I was willing to buy :).

http://www.sonlight.com/ig-update-chart.html