Menu

Classical Unschooling - is it possible?

I'm in the midst of planning for next year, and did something crazy: I started reading both TWTM and The Unschooling Handbook at the same time. I remember I did this last year too. I like both of them, but they seem to be at opposite ends of the homeschooling spectrum.

I stick to the History and Science, and every day we do math, writing, and reading. But I am also extremely flexible regarding when and why and how we study those things, and sometimes we'll go weeks without anything that looks like "formal" school. Can I just combine the best of the both worlds? I think I'm having an existential crisis here!

Do you think it's possible to be both classically minded and an unschooler? Or am I some other breed of homeschooler entirely? Maybe I'm just eclectic. Thoughts?

I think that's us, a little. I like the guidelines offered and we do lots of history and science, and such, but we're definitely on a more flexible schedule, and as I might call it "loosey goosey" yet somehow my kids know a lot. We just pick out the stuff we want them to learn and make the materials available to them.

I often laughingly describe myself as a classical unschooler, so yes, I think it can be done! For me, the classical part comes in because it is an approach that makes sense to me and works for my kids. But we are unschoolers in that we're child-led and practice what I call opt-in schooling. I pull materials together for the kids (often at their request, but also at my suggestion based on things I think they'll enjoy) but they are always free to decline.

I'm sure there are classical homeschoolers and unschoolers that would kick me out of both clubs, but it works for us and I honestly don't care so much about the labels.

Do you think it's possible to be both classically minded and an unschooler? Or am I some other breed of homeschooler entirely? Maybe I'm just eclectic. Thoughts?

You're the bolded part, above (which I think is great!). I don't think it's possible to be both WTM/classical and unschoolers, not if you go with the "classic" definition of each of these. With classical education, you do have specific plans/goals for your kids (including what they'll read/study and when). With true unschooling, you're not guiding your kids' in their educational pursuits at all. They choose what they want to read, and which interests they want to develop, while you help them acquire the tools to get there. And, they might not make traditionally classical choices.

But a blend of these is probably pretty common.

You're the bolded part, above (which I think is great!). I don't think it's possible to be both WTM/classical and unschoolers, not if you go with the "classic" definition of each of these. With classical education, you do have specific plans/goals for your kids (including what they'll read/study and when). With true unschooling, you're not guiding your kids' in their educational pursuits at all. They choose what they want to read, and which interests they want to develop, while you help them acquire the tools to get there. And, they might not make traditionally classical choices.

But a blend of these is probably pretty common.

But by this definition, if the child is interested in classical materials then you could certainly be both classical and child-led/unschooling. (I have an 8yo who loves history, reading classica, and just came to me to ask to learn Latin.)