Menu

I need help with a 10th grade English course description....

It's late and I've been working on course descriptions all day long.....my brain is tired and I can't put together the words correctly and intelligently to describe my daughter's English II course. We started out the year with using Teaching the Classics Literary Analysis study and then applied the concepts we learned there to read some classical literature pieces like A Tale of Two Cities, MacBeth and so on. We also wrote literary essays on a few chosen pieces of literature. Help anyone?

This course description stuff is really time consuming:ohmy:

Thanks so much!!

This course description stuff is really time consuming:ohmy:

No kidding! This was me two years ago working on ds's course descriptions. My brain was absolutely fried some days! I'll pm you my course description from ds's 9th grade literary analysis course. We used Stobaugh, which has the student write an essay on every work, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Do you need a "description" or just a course title? I'm not sure what a "description" would really be used for?

If it's just a title, you can always fall back on English 10. It's used almost 100% of the time in my area's public schools.

So did your dd get a lot out of watching Teaching the Classics? Just curious.

Julie

Music Mom -Thank you so much, I would love to take a look at it!

Julie - It's my understanding that course descriptions are common, are they not? I want to include it along with the Table of Contents or syllabus of each class so colleges can see exactly what was studied in case they were to ask. She's read quite a few pieces of literature and her transcript isn't the place to put that kind of info so thats why I was wanting it. And yes, she loved the Teaching The Classics study! She was able to take what she learned and apply it to whatever she was reading whether it was Paul Revere's Ride like in the course or MacBeth. I would use it again.

Thanks Ladies!

Got it and it's perfect! Thanks Music Mom!

Glad you got a good one!

I'd be interested in whether anyone had ever been asked for these by a college. My impression of the college admission process was that they were too busy to read anything besides what they asked for. My public schooled son's transcript had crazy titles on there like "core plus" and nondescript titles like "english 12" -- and no one asked. But maybe it will be a different experience as a homeschooler.

Julie

Glad you got a good one!

I'd be interested in whether anyone had ever been asked for these by a college. My impression of the college admission process was that they were too busy to read anything besides what they asked for. My public schooled son's transcript had crazy titles on there like "core plus" and nondescript titles like "english 12" -- and no one asked. But maybe it will be a different experience as a homeschooler.

Julie

Hi Julie!

Yes--it can be different as a homeschooler depending on the college. The more selective colleges often want course desriptions from homeschoolers. They usually have a page somewhere on their website with instructions for homeschooled applicants and it will be listed there. State schools (which look more at test scores), less selective schools, and schools very familiar with homeschooling usually don't ask for course descriptions (and I suspect you're right--they're probably too busy to read them.) So for example, in our case, we sent course descriptions to Cornell and Carnegie Mellon (where ds now attends), but not to the U of M.

Hi Julie,

In the end, we needed a course description document - think syllabi. Name of course, titles of textbooks or books used, description of the course, method of evaluation, and a grade.

It was NOT fun to make the first time. But I'm glad it's done. With my two younger kids, I'm building their document as we go.

Some schools didn't ask for it, but some did. The nature of the game.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey