Menu

Writing in CLE LA adequate??

diaperjoys

I don't think it's adequate. Now, I know some people will take the writing lessons from CLE and have their kids do them numerous times. Maybe if you do that, it would be adequate, but I know CLE also has an additional book you are supposed to buy to address writing.

In our case, I had added in WWE the last couple of years and now we are using Writing Tales 1.

Lisa

In our case, I had added in WWE the last couple of years and now we are using Writing Tales 1.

How is that working for you? Do you feel like there's too much overlap? One of the reasons I want to go with CLE LA is because it incorporates grammar and spelling and so on together, and it looks like Writing Tales covers a lot of the same things.

How is that working for you? Do you feel like there's too much overlap? One of the reasons I want to go with CLE LA is because it incorporates grammar and spelling and so on together, and it looks like Writing Tales covers a lot of the same things.

Actually, it's working out great. My daughter is finding WT really fun. We are almost halfway through WT because we've easily been doing 2 weeks in one and the only spelling has been for her to write any words she mispelled in her paper two times each and then to write a sentence with one of them.

The grammar in WT is extremely light and reinforced with simple games and an emphasis on finding whatever grammar element is being covered for the week in the story we are reading and in her writing. I like how it's having her apply what she's learned with the grammar.

My daughter has already done WWE for almost 3 years and we both needed something different. WT is having her do a lot more writing and she really likes that. Thanks to WWE, she has no trouble whipping out a page or two with proper punctuation. She does not enjoy creative writing, so we just do the rewrites of the WT stories and skip adding the creative touches (which are optional).

Lisa

CLE LA needs addition of writing. For first and second grade, I would follow WTM. Copywork, dictation, and narration. You can start a formal writing program in third or fourth, such as IEW TWSS. Copywork and dictation teach the mechanics of writing a sentence, including punctuation. Choose wisely and your student will even have exposure to writing sentences with quotation marks, hyphens, colons and more. You can even build to use multiple sentences to form short paragraphs. Narration teaches how to summarize and get thoughts down on paper.