Menu

Drinking from the hose

Who knew? Not me. Guess I should read the fine print on my hose box. We have a 50 gallon water storage barrel that we fill from the hose. We fill it in the winter because we want fewer critters in the water but it never occurred to me that we have a barrel full of lead. Bummer.

We drink out of the hose and don't really worry about it because we generally let it run for a minute, or it has been running. Is the lead only a problem if it has been sitting? Would letting it run keep the water barrel from being full of lead also?

Sad also that the articles I read after seeing this indicated that the lead is in the hose as a result of making the hose out of recycled plastics. Seems like you can't win.

Yes and yes. I figure the few times my kids drink from the hose, it isn't going to kill them. We also usually try to run it for a bit to flush out any stagnant water/icky bits that might have collected.

I often think that our germ phobia in America now is a great source of all these allergies kids have!!

When dd14 was about 8, she and her friends would play "puppies" with the little round plastic sprinkler - they'd all crowd around and drink. Wish I had a picture handy to show cuz it was pretty funny looking. :D

Really though, if you consider it, even those of you who say "no" have kids who've prolly drank hose water -- they just got it from the sprinkler, kiddie pool, water guns, etc that they were playing with instead!

I did, but my kids do not. That water hose contains standing water, which is a breeding ground for bacteria and even parasites such as Naegleria fowleri, which, though said to be very rare, has killed at least 2 children in my hometown (about an hour's drive from here) since 2002. Naegleria fowleri is a brain-eating parasite that enters the body through the nose--such as when sprayed from a water hose. It causes amoebic meningoencephalitis, which is nearly always fatal, and the affected individual dies within 2 weeks. Here's another article, discussing what the CDC has to say about the parasite.