Menu

What do you love for spelling?

cam112198

I am loving AAS, but will be going from homeschooling 1 to 3. We struggled this year to get it done. I'm guessing with teaching 3 and dd1 running around, it might get pushed aside.

Is there anything that is just as effective and not so teacher intensive?

My dd8 is a natural speller, and so far AAS has been too easy for her.

MegaWords works here. It is workbook based. Spelling WorkOut is the old standby. Others have more experience than I do about this area.

MegaWords works here. It is workbook based. Spelling WorkOut is the old standby. Others have more experience than I do about this area.

Thank you! MegaWords and Spelling Workout are two that I have heard great things about.

Has anyone used Excellence in Spelling (Phonetic Zoo)?

We have been using ASCI (Association of Christian Schools International) since 1st. My kids really like it so I haven't seen a need to switch or look around. It is workbook based and is meant for a classroom so it is very independent. :)

I just ordered 'Building Spelling Skills' based on good reviews in a recent thread. I really like the look of it. My DS9 is also a very natural speller and this will allow him to work independently.

Love , love this. It's the only spelling program that gets done . It's independent , phonics based and cheap . My dc love it too . A little bit ahead most programs , but if you start in grade 1 as we did , they will be able to spell advanced words by 3rd with no difficulty. Much superior to Spelling Workout (IMO of course ).

We have been using ASCI (Association of Christian Schools International) since 1st. My kids really like it so I haven't seen a need to switch or look around. It is workbook based and is meant for a classroom so it is very independent. :)

I will have to take a look at that. Thank you!

I just ordered 'Building Spelling Skills' based on good reviews in a recent thread. I really like the look of it. My DS9 is also a very natural speller and this will allow him to work independently.

Love , love this. It's the only spelling program that gets done . It's independent , phonics based and cheap . My dc love it too . A little bit ahead most programs , but if you start in grade 1 as we did , they will be able to spell advanced words by 3rd with no difficulty. Much superior to Spelling Workout (IMO of course ).

This is another one that I've heard great things about! I was just looking at samples of it today online. Thanks, guys!

We've been happy with Rod and Staff used a grade ahead (i.e. 2nd grade book in 1st grade). I was not happy with SWO--too many activities that seemed to be designed more to keep a class busy than to teach spelling (eg unscramble the letters to find a list word).