Menu

WA EALR and SM

Has anyone taken a close look at the WA EALR and SM? PS is going to allow DS to work independent in class with me providing the instruction in the morning for math. I'm trying to line up where we are. It kind of looks SM is half a year ahead. Does that sound right? If anyone has already done this comparison project, I would love if you could share what you found!! Thank you

Has anyone taken a close look at the WA EALR and SM? PS is going to allow DS to work independent in class with me providing the instruction in the morning for math. I'm trying to line up where we are. It kind of looks SM is half a year ahead. Does that sound right? If anyone has already done this comparison project, I would love if you could share what you found!! Thank you

I haven't compared side-by-side, but that does sound about right to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! After 1 year of homeschooling 1st grade with Singapore, we are also going to be afterschooling/PS for 2nd grade. I am not familiar at all with TERC which is what they use in our district (we are also in WA). Do you know if the Singapore approach is completely different from what they do-- not in terms of skills, but thought process to get you to the answer? Will DS be confused? Should I school him this summer in whatever they did for 1st grade? Should I keep teaching him Singapore alongside the TERC? Ack!

Grr! I lost my entire post!

What I think I said was, yes, absolutely afterschool over the summer either completing 1st grade if needed, or moving on to 2nd grade in order to keep ahead of TERC. The benefit of teaching your ds proven, concrete methods at home well ahead of his learning the fuzzy ones in school will be invaluable.

TERC is a horrible program, very heavy on discovery (hands-on activities, manipulatives, group work, trial and error) and practice drill is nonexistent. The philosophy is that kids will get practice as they're trying to build on those previous skills, however, they find it very hard to build on a weak foundation.

Here's an excellent video about TERC:

And there are many good threads on this board about that, too. Search "TERC" or "Everyday Math", a similar program. There's hardly mention of one without the other.

Good luck!