Menu

Favorite resources for teaching about hymns?

dovrar

I just purchased The Easy Fake Hymn Book and am quite pleased with it. All the hymns are in the key of C. It can be used for beginning soprano singing, piano, harmonica, and I don't know what else. I don't know much about music :-0

Generic poetry analysis worksheets work well for hymn appreciation. The rhymning words can be used for phonics and spelling lessons. Many are rich with vocabulary. History and geography lessons can often be made from background and composer study of a hymn.

We really love the Cedermont Kids hymns cd. It doesn't teach history, meaning or author, but you can print out the words from the cd. I just wanted to mention it, b/c lots (most) kids music grate my nerves to no end, but I actually like this one. It's kids singing, but not in that nerve grating sort of way, if you know what I mean. We play it in the van ALL the time. The kids love it and have learned most of the words this year. I kicked myself all year, b/c we didn't DO memory work this year, then it hit me .... We learned the hymns! That's memory work! So, I checked memory work off the list for this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Hymns-Cedarmont-Kids/dp/B00000DPLL/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305723747&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Teaching about hymns:

• Hymns for a Kid's Heart series mentioned above (Hymns for a Kid's Heart vol 1 & 2, Passion Hymns for a Kid's Heart, Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart)
  • Same authors as above have an adult series (What Wondrous Love is This?, O Worship the King, When Morning Gilds the Skies)
  • Our Hymn Writers and their Hymns (also available in Paperback)
  • I haven't used them yet, but plan on using the Mr. Pipes books

Teaching hymns (we've learned about 12 hymns over the past year and a half; not being a pianist, I've relied on CDs ...):

We sing them learning a verse a week and reviewing using the SCM Memory System.