Menu

anyone used McRuffy

Which McRuffy? The math? I've used it as a homeschooler not an afterschooler.

The lessons are short and easy to teach, so that's a big plus. There's a lot of work on drilling math facts. The program is very kid-friendly, colorful and fun.

However, the math itself is very traditional. If your DC is in a school that already teaches traditional math, it'd just be more of the same. In that case, I'd lean toward supplementing with something like Miquon.

If, on the other hand, they're dealing with "Everyday Math" or something similar, it might be a nice antidote to that.

Hope that helps a little.

She is in a ps that uses Harcourt Math.

Anyways for some reason maybe due to classroom size or whatever, she needs more hands on in order to get the concepts. She doesn;t always get the concepts. And keeps getting paper back saying Not Meeting Standards. Sometimes even with the hands on stuff she is unable to apply it to the paper. I am not sure what is going on with her. She is in 1 st grade and will be in 2nd grade. This year has been extremely painful with lots of tears. I am wondering if i should focus on 1st grade stuff over the summer or start working on 2nd grade stuff so the school year will be less painful.

I would like to use something similar to the school districts curriculum but more hands on ish.

With McRuffy math I have found that it is a bit above as long as you use it the way they have it written. I think if you get her doing the grade 1 math over the summer or even start now and continue it will be a big help to her.

We are using Saxon grade 2 right now after using McRuffy grade 1 and my son knows most of the material already in the grade 2 material. We are doing it as hsler not afterschools, but I believe your daughter would benefit from the program. If not for anything more than making her more confident with math.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned that your son was distracted by all the colors of mcruffy. I am wondering about my daughter now who is distractable as well.

she does need a lot of hands on things though. She just doesn;t understand or remember a lot of concepts. Are there a lot of hands on stuff in saxon math?

My son hated Mammoth. It was too much, too boring. Just overall not great.

Saxon so far has been awesome with hands on and it doesn't have color to distract them. We are loving it. Also I have noticed my son is retaining the information better.