Menu

Rosetta Stone for kids?

MusicMama

I posted this in the bilingual board, and didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try again.

I am looking to have my kids learn spanish, and have started by taking lessons myself. I can only take lessons from a teacher over the summer due to work circumstances. I have access to speaking to native and non-native speakers, which will continue year round, but they won't be trained teachers, only speaking opportunities. My kids will be having regular playdates with native speaking kids etc. We're using the Salsa spanish series to supplement too. I'm trying to do my best with what I've got.

Since I won''t have access to a trained teacher, would Rosetta Stone be my best bet for regimented learning on my own at home? Would my kids benefit from it? My oldest is almost four. I am trying to decide if I need to buy level one, or just get 2 and up for me. It would save a lot of money, so I was looking for advice first. One of my biggest regrets is not speaking another language. I'm not looking for perfect fluency for my kids, but for them to be comfortable at a conversational level. More would be great, but I'm realistic since there is not a fluent speaker in the home. Thanks!

I have an older version of Rosetta Stone. My 6 year old couldn't do the predetermined lessons the way they were set up as he's just learning to read in English. I went in and adjusted lessons to eliminated all the writing and reading parts. He can do it and enjoys it a little. I also DVR spanish speaking cartoons and animal shows on Saturday and Sunday morning and I have him watch those during the week. I have a friend who's 6 year old son LOVES Rosetta Stone!!! I don't know how she is using it with him though.

Rosetta Stone works much better for myself, my 13 and my 11 year old. They also do a class one day a week which stresses conversation.

I asked this same question a day or two ago... "When to start Rosetta Stone?" ...I just started going though the Spanish and I allowed my daughter (She's 6 now. She'll be 7 in Sept.) to try and she is having a really, really hard time. I assumed she'd do fine because it's so easy for me... but I think I will need to wait another year or two or even three to let her go through it on her own. My daughter is very bright, but I think it's just a bit too much for her. If I sat with her the whole time, she'd do fine... but I want her to benefit from the program as it was designed and when I am sitting with her, it is obvious she depends on my cues to gather what should be obvious at this point... So, she just isn't ready. I believe YOU'D benefit from Rosetta Stone. But, from what I've gathered from other people's criticism, you will need to do all the levels and you will need to speak to native/ non-native speakers and perhaps even find other programs to use that will help you practice the things Rosetta Stone doesn't do as well. Good luck. :D

In the meantime, I am planning to cont. teaching my daughter Spanish... I will just set my goals a little lower (for now.)

She can't go through Rosetta Stone, but she can learn vocabulary, poems and songs. I am using this List of Attainments for ideas on what my goals will be for my daughter right now. (Look at #16 and 17, etc. on this list)

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CMAttainments.shtml

And, we will add more Spanish poems, songs and vocabulary every year until she can start Rosetta Stone.

And, I am assuming that as I go through the program myself and learn and speak to native speakers, etc. I will find out what we might need to add to our studies as we go.

Enjoy! :001_smile:

Edited by VBoulden

Have you looked at Getting Started with Spanish by Bill Linney? You can see it here:

http://www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com/ and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Spanish-Homeschoolers-Self-Taught/dp/0979505135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305383281&sr=8-1

My second grader completed Getting Started with Latin this year, and all of my kids, ages 7, 11, and 13 are going to start his Spanish book over the summer. It is inexpensive, easy, and enjoyable. Note that this is a beginners book. It probably would not get you as far as you want to go for a whole school year. It will get you started, however.

My older two have used RS Spanish for the last two years and have one more year to go. They do not enjoy RS. I bought it so that Spanish could be done independently. If I had it to do over again, I would look for something else.

The Easy Spanish comes to mind. I remember liking that one, but I can't offer a recommendation simply because we have not used it, but I can definitely recommend Bill Linney's books.

I live in a community where most every child is bi-or-trilingual. My girls speak English at home, but they picked up Spanish by attending preschool and by playing with friends. This is how most every child in our area learns language. There are no special classes involved.

Since you have access to native speakers on a consistent basis, why don’t you immerse your kids in Spanish? IMHO, doing this is far better than using a program such as Rosetta Stone.

Good luck.

Donna

Thanks for all the replies! I had worried that Rosetta might be too difficult for my kids, but I have also looked at the Linney book. I wondered if that too would go over their heads. But I will revisit it, it has been a while since I looked at it. And my goal is as much immersion as possible, it can be difficult around here. I feel so frustrated sometimes, that language teaching for kids is limited to counting and colors. I want my kids to speak! I seem to be a rare bird in my area, thanks for listening!

I asked this same question a day or two ago... "When to start Rosetta Stone?" ...I just started going though the Spanish and I allowed my daughter (She's 6 now. She'll be 7 in Sept.) to try and she is having a really, really hard time. I assumed she'd do fine because it's so easy for me... but I think I will need to wait another year or two or even three to let her go through it on her own. My daughter is very bright, but I think it's just a bit too much for her. If I sat with her the whole time, she'd do fine... but I want her to benefit from the program as it was designed and when I am sitting with her, it is obvious she depends on my cues to gather what should be obvious at this point... So, she just isn't ready. I believe YOU'D benefit from Rosetta Stone. But, from what I've gathered from other people's criticism, you will need to do all the levels and you will need to speak to native/ non-native speakers and perhaps even find other programs to use that will help you practice the things Rosetta Stone doesn't do as well. Good luck. :D

If she can work with it even with your cues I think it would be good practice for her. You don't need to get far with it just use whatever you can. Some exposure is better than none ;). Rosetta Stone is a program that was designed to work the same way infants learn their native language and this is how they learn it, using cues from us :).

I posted this in the bilingual board, and didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try again.

I am looking to have my kids learn spanish, and have started by taking lessons myself. I can only take lessons from a teacher over the summer due to work circumstances. I have access to speaking to native and non-native speakers, which will continue year round, but they won't be trained teachers, only speaking opportunities. My kids will be having regular playdates with native speaking kids etc. We're using the Salsa spanish series to supplement too. I'm trying to do my best with what I've got.

Since I won''t have access to a trained teacher, would Rosetta Stone be my best bet for regimented learning on my own at home? Would my kids benefit from it? My oldest is almost four. I am trying to decide if I need to buy level one, or just get 2 and up for me. It would save a lot of money, so I was looking for advice first. One of my biggest regrets is not speaking another language. I'm not looking for perfect fluency for my kids, but for them to be comfortable at a conversational level. More would be great, but I'm realistic since there is not a fluent speaker in the home. Thanks!

If you do decide to try Rosetta Stone (I would suggest you check out the demos if you haven't already) you might want to consider going for the Homeschool edition and use it for yourself first. It has to be cheaper than using a tutor ;) and there is a special going on right now until June 11th. The homeschool edition can be added to two computers with five users each. So you can use it with up to 10 people. You can try one level yourself and see how it goes. I just ordered Homeschool Level 1 Greek and even though I am a native speaker (graduated high school in Greece) I am still going to go through the level myself in order to see exactly what my son will be learning and also to see how I will supplement. The older editions did not include grammar, which has now apparently been added from what I have been reading. After I go through the level, I should have a clearer picture of where we need to supplement. I am seeking fluency though since I have a Greek background and my boys' grandparents live in Greece. You may or may not need to supplement ;).

Good luck with whatever you decide :).