Menu

any suggestions for first grade geography and social studies?

Mommamia

Five in a Row :thumbup: This is a fun, very easy-to-implement unit study covering "social studies", science, art, practical math, and some language arts skills. You'd still need to add phonics and arithmetic. FIAR gave us a great foundation with which to start our homeschooling career. http://www.fiveinarow.com/

If you prefer to have something spelled out day by day and which includes math and LA/phonics, then I recommend Heart of Dakota. www.heartofdakota.com

For 1st gr I'd just do some games like Great States for geography. There are lots of games like geography Bingo, puzzles, and simple activity books for this age. I think they will retain it better in a fun presentation.

If you want something a little more structured but still fun you could check out Galloping the Globe.

I wouldn't worry about "social studies" at this age. It's really not anything a 1st grader needs to "learn" but rather experience....such as community "field trips" that you do everyday by going to the store, library, PO, etc.

If you want to read some interesting books about things like the Pilgrims at Thanksgiving and Abe Lincoln on President's Day then that would be great.

I did SOTW I for first grade history and used a ton of living books, mostly beautiful picture books. I also did a U.S. geography study using picture books that year. It's a lot of books to check out of the library, LOL, but it was a fun year! I still have my lists if you're interested in those.

Love the suggestions.

With SOTW1-should I just read it to them?

Has anyone used any of the A Beka books for first grade social studies? I think there are books about the community, the neighborhood , America etc.

mcconnellboys....I'd love any book titles you can share. thanks!!