Menu

So, this is what we are doing next year. Very Long.

Sometimes, I just want to talk about my kids. They are a bright, intense bunch. It gets hard not talking... you know? We've been in the K12 virtual academy these past two years, which was okay for my younger two, but was a huge mistake on my part for my oldest this year.

I'm really struggling (as is my son) with the transition year we have planned. I *know* he needs it, mostly for non-academic reasons, as well as to fill gaps that emerged 18 months ago that just got wider as our year in the virtual academy continued.

Anyway, here goes nothing. Thank you for listening...

As a family, we will be doing "Who Is God" in the morning, and a weekly, evening study using Dust to Glory (RC Sproul).

CK– Grade 6 (transition)

English: MCT -- the plan is to "run" through Island and Town grammar, focusing on Town for composition, and move into the whole Voyage level next Spring. I'd like to work in Grammar for Middle School, and Sentence Composing for Middle School. I'm going to the PA meet-up with SWB and MCT to help get this worked out.

My focus this fall is to get him really writng excellent sentences and paragraphs. The VA's focus on output really didn't help develop the foundation... and I really feel this is a HUGE gap heading into middle school. I also have some Editor in Chief type CD-Roms for him to work through... as reinforcement, and a diagramming book.

Additionally, this ds wants to write a book (found out Monday he's already started pre-selling the first edition at Boy Scouts...:001_huh:). So, I'm going to pull the project from a NaNoWriMo site, and give him time to work on that as well.

Literature: We're going to use Of People from Abeka to do a literature overview. I know this isn't "deep thought," but *every single assignment* the past two years through the VA has been more analysis than my son was ready for (at first, my son's IEP was to stretch the LA course over two years, because I wanted to back him down a level in K12's LA program. It was becoming too much. That was "okay" for half the year... until we were told we "couldn't do that." So, we had to race through the assignments and ds got ZIP out of it. We need to back off a little, and get back to some basic assignments. As a method to "stretch" him a bit into literature analysis, I purchased 4 Progeny Press literature guides, and will spend one month per quarter studying a book in more depth. I am hoping this will help him develop the skills he needs, without making *every assignment* a battle.

History; Another area I'm backing off on. We're going to follow the Veritas Press model for a History Transition class... working on a timeline project, reading lots of historical fiction, a few biographies and a couple autobiographical books, learning the VP chants, and doing some map work (which I'm still looking for, and will look at the VP teacher guides to see what kind of map work they have as well).

The past two years of K12 history just sucked the joy out of it (he really did NOT care for the Hakim books, and the dryness of (and required output for) those K12 courses just pushed him over the edge. He used to LOVE history... now it's one of those, "I'd rather pull out my teeth than do THAT" courses (FTR, ds is now on his 7th tooth this year... losing all 4 eye teeth and 3 molars... :lol:). I need him to find some enjoyment of this subject again...

Math: After doing LoF Pre-Algebra 1 & 2 (he should be able to read the stories and bridge through quickly after 2 years of Pre-Algebra), he will move into Foerster's Algebra I: Expressions, Equations & Applications with the Math w/o Borders dvds, and Life of Fred. I am thinking about picking up the AoPS for him to "play with" -- hoping that he will find some "fun" in it. But, right now, he does not enjoy math enough for me to assign AoPS. I think he could do it. But he won't think he can do it... which would make it a fighting course. And this mama is TIRED of fighting. I have no idea how he will actually do. I'm planning to spend 18 months in Algebra 1. I want to go a bit more slowly, and get through solidly. No more rushing through this stuff!

Science: I have already purchased the 9th grade Physical Science course from Abeka. No, it's not a rigorous course. He's 11, will be 12 this fall. I don't need a rigorous course yet. My main purpose is to begin to teach him how to learn from a textbook. How to outline, how to study for tests, etc. So, we could really call this a "study skills" class with Science resources. Also DS has completed Advanced Earth Science with K12 and Advanced Life Science with K12. Next year, I will probably move him into Abeka's Biology Course (treating it as an advanced Life Science/intro Biology... but NOT for high school credit), with a short Marine Biology summer course for 7th, followed by a decent Astronomy course (for which I am on the lookout). He will take Chemistry in 9th (will be in Algebra II/Trig), AP Bio (at home) in 10th, and 11th and 12th the Physics BC course (Kinetic Textbooks, or CC) and probably another math-based science at the CC. I think that *should* be a good science progression for this child (or maybe it's all just wishful thinking). He has 3 service academies on his "college list" along with MIT (IMO, MIT is a stretch for this child... but I suppose he will do a lot of growing up in the next 6-7 years).

Foreign Lanugages: He is signed up for VP's Secondary Latin 1 class next year. I will keep signing him up for Latin, until they run out of Latin classes :lol: He is also starting Mandarin this year, using Tell Me More, and the Mandarin tutor/materials in the new class at our church. (I am planning for him to also take 1 year of Greek in 8th grade, and start another modern foreign language in 9th grade, probably Spanish, as that is what he wants to do... my mom was a Spanish minor in college, and she'd like to help with that as well).

Music: I will probably be signing up for the Dallas School of Music's Discover, Learn, Play courses. He will be able to choose any instrument...and I will be investing in ear plugs. I have "Discovering Music" on my radar from Homeschool Buyers Coop, and will be working that into our 10-12 plan (for one credit, just completed over 3 years). DS will also be doing church choir and handbells too.

Art: Art will also be pretty light this year, he'll be working with the younger kids in "I Can Do All Things." He does NOT like art projects (unlelss they involve LEGO). I have planned to use God & the History of Art as a guide for 7-9, along with some other resources.

Logic Studies: Art of Argument, Mind Benders, 5 Minute Mysteries

PE/Health: Year Round Swimming; Personal Fitness; Abeka health course.

Extras: DS will be doing drama with church, and possibly starting public speaking with NCFCA.

KK – Grade 4 & JK -- Grade 3 – Curriculum for 2011-2012

English: Grammar Town (MCT) including Building English, Sentence Island, Poetry. I will probably throw in FLL3/4 as well. I won't make that decision until June.

Spelling: Abeka Grade 5 Spelling & Poetry.

Penmanship: Abeka Cursive 4 (KK), Abeka penmanship 2, transition to cursive (JK)

Reading - KK- Overview using Abeka readers, 4 Progeny Press Guides: Door in the Wall, The Bridge, The Crown & Jewel, and The Two Collars.

Reading -- JK- Overview using Abeka grade 4 readers, plus 3 Progeny Press Guides: Farmer Boy, The Whipping Boy, and Sword in the Tree

History: We're going to do a brief review of VP OTAE & NTGR, but will be signing up for the self-paced MARR course. Timeline project.

Math -- KK-- Math Mammoth 6; Life of Fred Pre-Algebra I A & B; Hands On Equations. I will have to see how she does here before trying to figure anything else out!

Math -- JK-- Math Mammoth 5, LoF Fractions & Decimals and Percents. HOE, This child will have those mult/division facts down this year... I swear ;)

Science: Apologia Anatomy & Botany (they are really excited about this)

Music: Dallas School of Music - Discover Learn, Play. DD wants to do keyboarding (hoping we'll have a piano). JK will probably do keyboarding too.

Language Study: Latin for Children A – Veritas Press Online Class (JK wants to take Mandarin too... we'll see!)

Art: I Can Do All Things.

PE: Year Round Swimming; Personal Fitness

Sometimes, I just want to talk about my kids. They are a bright, intense bunch. It gets hard not talking... you know?

Yes, I know. I think I annoy the bejeebers out of my friends IRL, when I start talking about bright, intense kids... There's just so much to process about them and sometimes I just need I process by talking to people. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing! Have you used the Progeny Press guides before? I just saw that a local homeschool store opening up in town, and the lit guides are one of the things they offer. Now I'm curious about a new thing that I don't need... ;)

Edited by bonniebeth4

Yes, I know. I think I annoy the bejeebers out of my friends IRL, when I start talking about bright, intense kids... There's just so much to process about them and sometimes I just need I process by talking to people. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing! Have you used the Progeny Press guides before? I just saw that a local homeschool store opening up in town, and the lit guides are one of the things they offer. Now I'm curious about a new thing that I don't need... ;)

No, this will be our first year. I felt they were just what we needed this year. I don't know if I will stay with them forever... but for now, they are good.

My mom is coming home on Saturday, for 6 weeks. I'll get a lot of talking in then :D She does understand. She has 22 grandchildren... and mine are just not like the others in any way (not that the cousins are slouches... mine are just very different.) It is extremely hard not saying a whole lot. And, when they seem "academically ready" on one hand, but NOT there on maturity, emotionally young (my oldest), it makes it doubly hard. He makes friends with all ages (very social), but there is such a huge difference (noticeably huge) on these "non-academic" issues (although, they DO influence upper level academics with the level of analysis and interpretations needed), It's doubly hard.

LisaK,

I loved reading through your list. Reading what others are using is one of my favorite things on these boards :)

I'm still in the planning process with my kids, but this is what we plan to use at this point in time.

Older son:

LA - CLE (Grammar and handwriting only), R&S Spelling, Excavating English, Caesar's English, Jump In, Killgallon, Figuratively Speaking, classics

Math/Logic - Singapore. Life of Fred, Speed Math Strategies, Road Rally Race, living math, logic puzzles, chess

Languages - Hey Andrew, My First Chinese Reader, Pinyin for Everyone, Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad

History - Finish ancient Greece and go through the early church

Geography - Thailand and Sri Lanka studies, Mapping the World with Art

Science - Finish zoology, Physics, Technology, Inventions

Bible - Finish missions study and start Fruit of the Spirit study

Art - Art appreciation of a few famous artists

Music - Music Ace Deluxe and music appreciation of a few composers and modern artists (probably use Connect the Thoughts for composers study)

PE - Dr. Sears LEAN Kids, swim lessons

Younger son:

LA - Very Very Vocabulary, Rummy Roots, Vocabulary Cartoons, StartWrite, R&S Phonics, R&S Spelling, Experiences with Writing Styles, Growing with Grammar, classics

Math/Logic- Singapore. Life of Fred, Speed Math Strategies, Road Rally Race, living math, logic puzzles, chess

Languages - Hey Andrew, My First Chinese Reader, Pinyin for Everyone, Alif Baa, Arabian Sinbad

History - Finish ancient Greece and go through the early church

nt Greece and go through the early church

Geography - Thailand and Sri Lanka studies, Mapping the World with Art

Science - Finish zoology, Physics, Technology, Inventions

Bible - Finish missions study and start Fruit of the Spirit study

Art - Art appreciation of a few famous artists, lots of free art time

Music - guitar lessons with Alfred's course, Music Ace Deluxe, and music appreciation of a few composers and modern artists (probably use Connect the Thoughts for composers study)

PE - Dr. Sears LEAN Kids, swim lessons

Little girl:

Probably get her some art supplies for messy art play. Other than that pretty much encourage pretend play with the toys she already has.

And, when they seem "academically ready" on one hand, but NOT there on maturity, emotionally young (my oldest), it makes it doubly hard.

Well, I hear you. I have 8 years old daughter who is not that mature and emotionally young too. It makes an extra hard for her to be competitive because she doesn't always want to "fight". She wants us to be proud of her achievements, and we praise her improvements in skating and academics.

LisaK,

I loved reading through your list. Reading what others are using is one of my favorite things on these boards :)

I'm still in the planning process with my kids, but this is what we plan to use at this point in time.

I see I'm not the only one who feels the need for multiple programs...lol I always feel like the "crazy mom" for having 3-4 different LA resources, 3-4 math resources...etc. One should be enough, right? Never!

I just finished purchasing all of the math resources for next year, for all of the kids. I also purchased a few things used to "sit" on the shelves, simply because I *will* be using them, and don't want to pay "full" price if I don't have to.

Well, I hear you. I have 8 years old daughter who is not that mature and emotionally young too. It makes an extra hard for her to be competitive because she doesn't always want to "fight". She wants us to be proud of her achievements, and we praise her improvements in skating and academics.

For my son, he struggles with the rut of "good enough." He used to struggle with perfectionism (and still does a bit... makes him "afraid to try."), but when the work is "tough" and he doesn't want to work "hard" -- 85% is passing, so why should he have to re-do what he missed? UGH.

Next year, our main focus is STUDY SKILLS, along with some back-to-basics. I'm going to try some reverse psychology on him with AoPS... get it, and then put it on a shelf because I think it's "too hard" for him. He's welcome to "look at it" kind of approach, but I'm not going to schedule it. I'm HOPING that will put his "I'll show mom" attitude into high-gear and he'll want to SHOW me that he can handle AoPS! (I know he CAN handle it, but if I were to put it in front of him as his math course, he'd fall to pieces.)

I see I'm not the only one who feels the need for multiple programs...lol I always feel like the "crazy mom" for having 3-4 different LA resources, 3-4 math resources...etc. One should be enough, right? Never!

:lol: My kids do well with switching from one thing to another. Keeps boredom away!!