Menu

If you buy Science that doesn't include everything....

parias1126

Do you gather your materials at the beginning of the year? as the year goes on prior to that particular week? at the last minute? Do you have a certain website you use and try to just order everything from the supply list before your year starts?

I am really just looking for ideas, links, or anything else you may have to offer. I am tossing between Nancy Larson and Elemental Science at the moment. I would love to use Elemental, but anything with a supply list scares me! As far as Nancy Larson...the price is still holding me back as much as I just want to buy it RIGHT NOW!

We use Elemental Science. Last year, I figured the supplies for Biology looked easy enough that I'd just have them around or grab them as they came up. That was silly of me! :tongue_smilie: My younger daughter is going to do Intro, and I just gave in and bought the supply kit. Such a wonderful thing! I was then inspired to make sure that I had every single thing we could need for my older daughter's science. We're combining ES with RSO for earth science/astronomy, and aside from the food items RSO uses, I have them all. It's so much less painful this way, for me.

The ES supply lists are quite detailed, so you could accumulate your things before you even buy them. We're very happy with the program so far (and we're only combining because we've already covered so much of what ES earth science covers out of my daughter's interest; I love the ES astronomy section). HTH a bit!

Both. I gathered all the stuff I knew I would have to specialty order or go somewhere unusual for. By that I don't mean that we had science experiments that required really strange stuff, but I tried to gather anything I couldn't just get at the grocery store ahead of time. Not that it entirely worked, but it was nice to have things mostly assembled. Then, I got the stuff that was easy (like used bottles or things like that) on the fly beforehand. One thing that helped us was that we had a science day specifically which we shared with another family. It was just two other kids, so it was less planning that something like when I have to teach co-op, but it helped keep me on task and made me feel like the time for doing actual science experiments (we read books and watched videos at other times) was very contained.

We use BFSU, which almost entirely uses things around the house. That went well for a year, and then I ran into a single lesson with a single material that I didn't have, and it has held up science lessons for 2 months!:tongue_smilie: