Menu

Can someone explain The Core's approach to history and science?

delaney

Well, I think that learning a timeline is like learning "pegs". Learning information to hang on those pegs brings the learning to life ;) So, it's like... you can use the WTM for HOW to teach history... but you just remember that somehow you need to try to help your child organize the history in their mind... which I think any sequential timeline does... :)

As far as for Geography, the Core & ... Draw Write Now, Book 7: Animals of the World, Forest Animals (Draw Write Now, 7) which is $10.00 from Amazon... both do a great job of explaining how to teach Geography.

To us, teaching Maps in Geography and in History are different. I understand teaching maps in Geography to be teaching current maps, in a map that is from any reliable Atlas... etc...

To teach maps in History, would be to use maps that are from whatever period you'r studying....

Learning to sketch out the maps... without tracing.. and learning World Geography by memory... is what I want for my children :) (and having an understanding of where geographical lines use to be... is good, too :))

The suggestions for grammar stage history involve quite a bit more than a timeline. They do memorize 204 time line points and the presidents but also memorize short stories that summarize about 6 major eras in history, read a ton of books relating to the time line and time periods and do writing assignments and copywork from those time periods. Most of it is "living history" type stuff - no text books.

Science involves observation, memorization of basic facts and reading books, watching videos or doing a writing assignment around that fact. Most of it involves creating a strong background so that they can do research and learning with a good understanding when they get to the logic/rhetoric stages.

She also suggests doing presentations for both topics to learn how to write and speak and present information.

I think The Core matches up pretty well with several of the discussions going on here lately about integrated approaches to subjects.

Hmmm, rambled on - did that answer the question you asked even? :001_huh:

I love the idea of shortening our days and not directly teaching these so much. How does it work? I can't see how memorizing a bunch of cards really gives you an understanding of anything without teaching history.:confused:

I've enrolled my dd in Classical Conversations for the upcoming school year, so I read The Core to understand CC's approach to classical education. But I found the book rather disjointed and I still don't know Bortins approach to history other than their family reads whatever they're interested in and does not attempt to study history chronologically. I thought we could tie our history reading to whatever we're doing that week in CC, but I sat down to work on a schedule, and I can't figure out a way to make it work. So I think we're going to continue SOTW at home and do the memory work for CC, and they will just be separate subjects. All that to say, if you're looking for an approach to history to use at home, I'd stick with TWTM's recommendations.

Well, I think that learning a timeline is like learning "pegs". Learning information to hang on those pegs brings the learning to life ;) So, it's like... you can use the WTM for HOW to teach history... but you just remember that somehow you need to try to help your child organize the history in their mind... which I think any sequential timeline does... :)

As far as for Geography, the Core & ... Draw Write Now, Book 7: Animals of the World, Forest Animals (Draw Write Now, 7) which is $10.00 from Amazon... both do a great job of explaining how to teach Geography.

To us, teaching Maps in Geography and in History are different. I understand teaching maps in Geography to be teaching current maps, in a map that is from any reliable Atlas... etc...

To teach maps in History, would be to use maps that are from whatever period you'r studying....

Learning to sketch out the maps... without tracing.. and learning World Geography by memory... is what I want for my children :) (and having an understanding of where geographical lines use to be... is good, too :))

Is there any map drawing in that draw write now book, or just animals? I have a few others, but not that one.

Is there any map drawing in that draw write now book, or just animals? I have a few others, but not that one.

Yes Heidi, there is a nice amount of drawing. I think it's a nice addition to help flesh out teaching children to draw the maps. If you were closer... I'd lend you mine :) If you're somewhere to just look at it ... :) I wanna say it's page 47... that may be way off... ;)

Yes Heidi, there is a nice amount of drawing. I think it's a nice addition to help flesh out teaching children to draw the maps. If you were closer... I'd lend you mine :) If you're somewhere to just look at it ... :) I wanna say it's page 47... that may be way off... ;)

Thanks, Carrie. I might just get it. The boys enjoy those books anyway. Off to put it in my Amazon cart... :001_smile: