Menu

Do you have a preference of Kingfisher or Usborne Science Encyclopedia?

I have been reseaching both and each has mixed reviews? I was also wondering if Usborne Internet linked Science is that different? If you had to pick one for a 2nd grade curriculum which would it be or do I really need to get both?

Thank you for your responses.

I like them both because they both have their place. Usborne is written at more of an upper grammar to early middle school level. Kingfisher is DEFINITELY denser for your advanced 7th/8th grader or high schooler - though it could never be a substitute for high school science - it is written as a reference book. We own both because every once in awhile we can't find a topic in Usborne and I pop over to KF, read it myself and then help my oldest make sense of what it says. We do elemental science and I use them to ramp things up for my oldest when I need to.

Does that help?

Am I correct in understanding that if I have to choose one for right now which is 2nd grade grammer stage Earth & Science I should probably go with USborne. I can get Kingfisher later. You both mention middle school for Kingfisher -- do you think it's too advanced for a 7-8yr old?

Thank you both for your responses.

Am I correct in understanding that if I have to choose one for right now which is 2nd grade grammer stage Earth & Science I should probably go with USborne. I can get Kingfisher later. You both mention middle school for Kingfisher -- do you think it's too advanced for a 7-8yr old?

Thank you both for your responses.

I just bought it for myself for a reference this year. :D Beautiful book.

ETA: My local Barnes & Noble had them both in stock, maybe you can go see them in person to help you decide?