Menu

Sonlight LA

amyinva

I am seriously considering SL Core 2 for my upcoming 3rd grader, with my upcoming 1st grader sitting in. We have been using k12 this year, but probably will be switching.

DD8 is reading very well- she picks up things like the Usborne World History Encyclopedia for fun reading- but her writing ability is not great. At all. She is very insecure about spelling things wrong, and even though her spelling is great on her weekly spelling tests, that does not translate into her writing yet. She hates to write (not the handwriting part- the getting her thoughts on paper part). I have been hesitant to use SL LA because I hear it is weak on grammar, and I am a die-hard R&S user, but I wonder if she would benefit from a year of more writing as I have heard SL is set up.

Any thoughts on using SL LA or any other program, to get her writing up to speed?

thank you,

Amy

We used LA1, but from what I understand the problems I had are throughout the levels. The grammar problem is a big one, it's very disjointed and far too natural for me. The writing has great ideas, but very little instruction on how to complete the assignment. If your happy with Rod and Staff, stick with it. If your concerned about her writing, take a look at SWB's new writing program, The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease. If your concerned about her spelling, check out All About Spelling. We are planning on using both next year. I hope that helps!

We bought the new Sonlight LA and hated it. I meant to return it, but I waited too long. My 3rd grader is also a reluctant writer, and I found the Sonlight LA program way too teacher intensive and "all over the place." We're doing Growing With Grammar and Sequential Spelling, and we're going to start soon with Writing Tales 1. While I had hoped to find everything I needed in one program, the Sonlight program was just way too much work. GWG and SS are so easy to use, and I've heard the same about Writing Tales. I'm hoping that will be a success as well.