Menu

So You Really Want to Learn Spanish 1-is this a HS credit?

Also, I've seen the package for sale in different places with one cd and then with two. How many cds should there be for level 1?

In reading reviews I saw that SYRWTLS teaches Castilian Spanish, not true Spanish. What does this mean? Is the difference that great?

Thanks!

Kim

Edited by home4school

Also, I've seen the package for sale in different places with one cd and then with two. How many cds should there be for level 1?

In reading reviews I saw that SYRWTLS teaches Castilian Spanish, not true Spanish. What does this mean? Is the difference that great?

Thanks!

Kim

LOL! Castillian Spanish IS true Spanish. Castillian is Spanish from Spain! It's different in some ways, but there are regional differences among Latin American Spanish speakers, too. People will still understand, but they will recognize that it's different. Kind of like learning Australian English instead of American English - same language, just some differences.

Castillian Spanish differs from Latin American Spanish in a few main areas - the pronunciation of certain consonants (z sounds like th, c before e or i sounds like th, and many people pronounce the s sound with teeth closer together, almost like sh), the plural form of you informal (vosotros instead of ustedes), pronouns for people as objects (le instead of lo or la), and some vocabulary (although that will vary from country to country anyway, so it isn't a huge deal).

:blush: Thank you! I had no idea abouth the differences in Spanish!

I actually don't know if I want to even teach Spanish. I don't want it to be like all the rest of us that took Spanish in HS and now can't remember any of it. I was hoping with SYRWTLS that they would actually learn enough Spanish to be able to briefly converse, if needed, with people here in the US.

We did Getting Started with Latin this year. Perhaps we should earn our foreign language credits for HS by continuing with Latin. UGH, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again, very helpful!

Kim

:blush: Thank you! I had no idea abouth the differences in Spanish!

I actually don't know if I want to even teach Spanish. I don't want it to be like all the rest of us that took Spanish in HS and now can't remember any of it. I was hoping with SYRWTLS that they would actually learn enough Spanish to be able to briefly converse, if needed, with people here in the US.

We did Getting Started with Latin this year. Perhaps we should earn our foreign language credits for HS by continuing with Latin. UGH, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again, very helpful!

Kim

I'd check in with the colleges your child is considering. Some don't count Latin towards their Foreign Language requirement. Some do, and some who don't will make an exception though.

Good luck!

DD had two years of Latin and two years of Spanish. Her Latin was counted as foreign language, but we checked into it first. The reason is was counted and she was lauded for studying it was that she was going into medicine. Medical language is Latin, Latin, Latin, some Greek, and a lot more Latin so it's handy to know those word roots well.

A lot will depend on the colleges your student applies to. State schools tend to pan Latin. But, tier 1 and 2 LAC's that are used to classically schooled students and kids matriculating from prepatory high schools where Latin is still taught, do not give it another thought though they still prefer that there be at least two years of modern foreign language.

You really just need to check into the programs your child is interested in, make a potential college list, and then start calling those schools to find out what they do and do not accept.

Faith