Menu

HS Book Fair Happy Dance

Giraffe

Will you allow me to share my home school book fair finds as no one else around will be as interested as y'all might be? DH is too overwhelmed with other stuff. :(

For DD (starting "after-preschool"):

Explode The Code - Ready, Set, Go (Books A, B, C)

Preschool Activity Cards from MFW (already have the preschool activities)

Jim Weiss CDs - I made a beeline Friday morning for his booth and came away with 6 CDs. Gulp.

Usborne Art book - see the work, talk about it, then do a project based on it.

Magnetic Tangoes for our travels this summer.

For Me (Self Educating):

Traditional Logic from Memoria Press

Writing Strands books 5, 6, 7, Expository Writing, and Essays on Writing

Timeline blank book

I really enjoyed seeing MUS and the other curriculums so that I can start to plan for when DD is in Kindergarten and up. DD & DH came with me on Saturday and it was great to see her use the MUS manipulatives. Next year we'll buy Primer. This upcoming year will be mostly learning all the numbers and counting.

I also liked being able to see the Writing Strands curriculum and talking through what to get with the rep. I moved so much as a kid I missed a great deal in writing and grammar. I'm feeling the lack of writing skills (especially as I consider a return to grad school) and the rep was so helpful. And I found the Logic book I'd been wanting at RR! Score!!!

Thanks for letting me babble!

congrats on your great finds! The Jim Weiss cd's will be awesome - well worth your investment. :)

We are also big fans of Math-U-See here. I wish I had started my kids on it from the beginning.

As far as writing, Writing Strands is a nice, gentle approach that some people like. But if you're looking to also benefit yourself as a writer going back to grad school, I would take a look at IEW. It's not something you would use for your daughter for a few years (although they did just come out with a K-2 program) but the lessons are invaluable. I teach college, and I wish that my students would all take an IEW course!

As far as writing, Writing Strands is a nice, gentle approach that some people like. But if you're looking to also benefit yourself as a writer going back to grad school, I would take a look at IEW. It's not something you would use for your daughter for a few years (although they did just come out with a K-2 program) but the lessons are invaluable. I teach college, and I wish that my students would all take an IEW course!

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked Writing Strands because SWB recommended it - and I thought it was by IEW. hmm. I guess I was wrong.

If I find Writing Strands isn't meaty enough, I'll look into the IEW materials next Fall when we're back in the US.

Thanks for celebrating with me! :D

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked Writing Strands because SWB recommended it - and I thought it was by IEW. hmm. I guess I was wrong.

If I find Writing Strands isn't meaty enough, I'll look into the IEW materials next Fall when we're back in the US.

Thanks for celebrating with me! :D

Color me green with Envy! You got some great books. I love the Usborne Art book. It reminds me of Meet the Masters without the videos, and can become a great art program. I also lucked out and found the entire Writing Strand series 2-7 for a dollar each. We had already done WS3 and I compared it and IEW and perhaps it isn't as detailed but I think it gives a decent plan for writing. I will be curious to see how it works for you.