Menu

Sonlight Core A question

I am considering purchasing this. I have three of the books and love them (they were all recommendations off of this board...Boxcar Children, Dolphin Adventure and My Father's Dragon). I was wondering if there were any books on there that you didn't love. Since I have some of the books and don't need the K readers (I already have some), I was thinking of just buying the IG and piecing it together myself. What are your thoughts on that? Is there a big benefit to buying the core? I could always buy the 1st grade readers with it.

I have so far always pieced our cores together, 4 of them. The only benefit comes with 2-year forum access, 10% off anything you order for a year and free shipping for a year.

I have heard, though, that if you spend 25 dollars, you get free shipping from SL now. Not sure if it's quite accurate, as I can't remember where I heard that from. :001_smile:

There are a few books from Core A that were drier, but we actually still liked them, just not loved.

These were the more dry books:

The Light at Tern Rock (this book had a good lesson learned)

Mary on Horseback (a bit boring here and there, but we really liked this one)

Family Under the Bridge (this book was dry at times, but the setting was so interesting, French gypsies, children not having a home)

The Apple and the Arrow (again, a bit dry, but we ended up liking it, set in the Alps. It seems it's hard for children to grasp what they were fighting for, freedom)

HTH!

I have so far always pieced our cores together, 4 of them. The only benefit comes with 2-year forum access, 10% off anything you order for a year and free shipping for a year.

I have heard, though, that if you spend 25 dollars, you get free shipping from SL now. Not sure if it's quite accurate, as I can't remember where I heard that from. :001_smile:

There are a few books from Core A that were drier, but we actually still liked them, just not loved.

These were the more dry books:

The Light at Tern Rock (this book had a good lesson learned)

Mary on Horseback (a bit boring here and there, but we really liked this one)

Family Under the Bridge (this book was dry at times, but the setting was so interesting, French gypsies, children not having a home)

The Apple and the Arrow (again, a bit dry, but we ended up liking it, set in the Alps. It seems it's hard for children to grasp what they were fighting for, freedom)

HTH!

Would you still read those books if you were doing it all over again? If there are books I want to skip, I probably won't buy the core since I already have some of the books (and we have already read them).

Honestly, the books I have read are the reason I want to try Sonlight because we absolutely love those books. I didn't know if those were the best books in the Core or just some of the really good ones!!!! :lol:

Would you still read those books if you were doing it all over again? If there are books I want to skip, I probably won't buy the core since I already have some of the books (and we have already read them).

Honestly, the books I have read are the reason I want to try Sonlight because we absolutely love those books. I didn't know if those were the best books in the Core or just some of the really good ones!!!! :lol:

Honestly, the books you have are great books but they are the easiest ones in Core A. The books mentioned as dry were some of our favorite books in the core because they sparked great discussions. While we enjoyed My Father's Dragon and Dolphin Adventure (and read all of the sequels) they aren't books to discuss and appeal more to the younger set than the tougher books. For that reason, I'm glad we waited until my ds was 6 to tackle Core A. He wouldn't have been as capable of dicussions about Nazis (Twenty and Ten), government and oppression (Apple and the Arrow) and charity/poverty/healthcare (Mary on Horseback) at 5yo. A lot of maturing took place that year. Overall, we loved the core and it was worth the money I spent.

We are doing this core right now :). My Father's Dragon is ...awesome for lack of a better word, but there are so many good books in this core. I agree that Light at Tern Rock was a bit slow, and even a bit boring, but it made me cry in the end.

Family Under the Bridge - my children think this book is hilarious!!

Apple and the Arrow - it IS meaty, but my children STILL play William Tell. We had a 'William Tell' supper for them with bread, milk, and an apple just the other night, and we read this MONTHS ago.

We did sell our Wizard of Oz though, because we don't go in for 'good witches'.

That is the only book we have skipped though :).

I also agree that Core A makes a GREAT grade 1 year. We have actually been doing it with a grade 2 and a very early K (she just flits in and out whenever she likes to).