Menu

Did you have any idea what you were getting into. . .

when you decided to homeschool?

I never heard of homeschooling until after I was married and met a homeschooled teenager working as a legal secretary. Homeschooling seemed like such a wonderful idea that I decided before I even had kids that that was what I wanted to do.

But I had no idea that there were actually large groups of people out there that were philosophically against it. I had no idea that homeschooling would force me to become politically active for my own sake and to protect my children. I find it really troubling that there are so many people that believe that public school is what is best for everyone. I mean, I know I am not the only one that had such a bad public school experience? And even if my experience had been good, I most certainly noticed some of my peers having an awful time of it. Did no one else notice them? I just don't get it.

I really just want to be left alone to raise my kids as best I can.

when you decided to homeschool?

I never heard of homeschooling until after I was married and met a homeschooled teenager working as a legal secretary. Homeschooling seemed like such a wonderful idea that I decided before I even had kids that that was what I wanted to do.

But I had no idea that there were actually large groups of people out there that were philosophically against it. I had no idea that homeschooling would force me to become politically active for my own sake and to protect my children. I find it really troubling that there are so many people that believe that public school is what is best for everyone. I mean, I know I am not the only one that had such a bad public school experience? And even if my experience had been good, I most certainly noticed some of my peers having an awful time of it. Did no one else notice them? I just don't get it.

I did not have a pleasant ps experience. However, my family never gave me grief, total strangers guess my boy is hs and complement me on my dedication, everyone at work has been either encouraging or neutral. I have met such little opposition, I am often startled by the sufferings of others here. Perhaps because I'm older, perhaps because I have some professional "power", or perhaps because I have a Viking's face, almost no one ever gives me trouble over anything. :D

I had no idea. It never even occurred to me people such as my parents would be so adamantly against it. (Not to mention the church, our friends, the community... :glare:) I wasn't exactly an activist then, I'm definitely not one now, but I'm much more aware, and more likely to do *something,* if that makes sense. I just don't have time.

I think it depends on what area of the country (or world) you live in. Here in the sunny South, homeschooling is almost viewed with as favorably as most private schools. Sure, there are nay-sayers in every area, but there is a large hs population here and I've never felt really "weird" about it at all.

I am amazed at how homeschooling began as an educational choice, but has quickly turned into a lifestyle. My family tends to gravitate towards other families that homeschool simply because we have so much more to talk about and our kids seem to get along so much better.