Menu

BFSU question

Amirah

so i am looking ahead for science and i am loving the look and principle of BFSU. i was wondering though if those who use it feel like the experiments are enough or are you supplementing with experiments from other places? i plan to get a year membership to my local science centre (ontario science centre) and they have tons of experiment exhibits etc. so i was thinking between the book and the science centre and youtube i should be ok. but then i though maybe adding Janice VanCleave expirement books but figured it might be a overkill.

oh i am looking at the k-2 book if that helps

I do supplement most lessons with Bill Nye videos, simple activities from Janice VanCleave books, and/or non-fiction read-a-louds. It is not absolutely necessary. My kids enjoy the extra resources, and I like to reinforce a science topic in different ways.

We're just starting, but I think you could go either way. We are very science-oriented, so we are supplementing with online videos, JVC, and non-fiction read-alouds (and fiction when I can swing a connection). It sounds like you have a really cool resource in the Science Center. You wouldn't need those other things, but it's fun and I find JVC's experiements to often be a little simpler less directly related to the topic at hand but relate it to something more real-life (if I'm making any sense). And I haven't tested this, but I suspect that I might explode if I had us learning a single topic without a library non-fiction read-aloud :)

I do not feel that we need to supplement at all. The K-2 book is jam packed with information, activities, and writing and reading suggestions.

:iagree:

I love BFSU. I am checking out some of the recommended books from the library to read along with the lessons. The experiments are beautifully simple and effective in teaching the science principles and making them memorable. I don't think that one necessarily needs complicated or expensive experiments to teach science well.