Menu

Anyone used RDI?

Does anyone have experience using RDI (Relationship Development Intervention) with older teens with Asperger Syndrome? On their own, using the books, not a consult ant? Would love opinions.

We've been using RDI for about 9 months now with a 9 year old. What got me started was reading the Glasser family's blog. I think their daughter is in her 20's now, and they started RDI a few years ago.

http://aut2bhomeincarolina.blogspot.com/search/label/Relationship%20Development%20Intervention

Below in purple are the parts of her blog that helped me the most.

Autism Therapy Label

We are currently working with a consultant long distance via Skype. When we had completed the parent training, we met once at the 6 month point. I'm now at the point where I'm doing about 2-2 .5 hours of "therapy" work a week with my son. I've had to learn a completely new set of skills. I've also had to learn a completely different set of skills to monitor/ or assess in my child as we are working together.

I'm hoping after 2-3 years to wean off a consultant but continue working on objectives. But it's been worth every penny to not be floundering around in 9000+ developmental objectives.

http://www.autism-montreal.com/links_resources.php This is not my consultant, but this site lists other blogs that may be of use to you.

http://www.rdiconnect.com/blogs/rdi-culture/archive/2010/06/04/montana-s-story-perspective-from-a-young-adult.aspx This was so encouraging. I'm not sure what age Montana started RDI, but he's an Eagle Scout now.

Feel free to pm me more questions.

Melody

We tried RDI many years ago when our ds was probably about 7 yrs. old. It was difficult because we did use a consultant who was over 3 hours away. We would see her periodically, as well as mail her monthly videos of our family doing "RDI" type of activities. We just couldn't stick with it at that time, but I do think RDI has some great concepts. I think the consultant really did provide us with great insight into how we were interacting with our ds, so she was a wonderful resource.

DS is now 11 and has started participating in a social group that is newer in our area. I really like it and think that it has many similarities to RDI. It is called ProSocial Thinking and it is based on Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking. Google Michelle Garcia Winner and you can find her website. It has TONS of info, books, etc.

Good luck to you and your family,

Michelle