Menu

add a century timeline reviews?

Those that you add a century timeline, can you add your own images or only those that are provided from the sticker set? We'll be revisiting history for 5th grade and now want to do a inclusive timeline, I was hoping just to use some the images from the back of the SOTW AG and then add those from ones the kids are interested in (right now heavy on inventors etc). Could I just print some images of our own interests onto adhesive sticker paper and use it on the timeline, is it worth getting their sticker set if we're not really concerned with two of the categories they have. We like the idea of a notebook timeline but larger format so add details and perhaps put some centuries up.

Any other suggestions for 5th grade timelines?

We have it and love it. The only issue *I* had (total operator issue) was finding a book to keep it in. I ended up finding a nifty scrapbook of the right size (after the clerk and the lady behind me in line showed me how it works... I don't scrapbook).

You can definitely add your own images! We plan to do that next year as needed (not a lot of images for the ancients). Whether you decide it's worth their set is entirely up to you. :001_smile:

Sure, you can add your own images. I have and plan to in the future. I make my own with my Dymo label printer.

I purchased the binder that they offered on their site. It's a perfect fit and looks nice. I went for months trying to find a suitable binder.

Satori,

Do you have examples of your own images on the timeline? Do you make sure to make them a specific size to ensure they fit properly? Are they movable like the decals or is it pretty much in place once you adhere it?

Any other suggestions for timelines similar to this that I maybe overlooking?

Is there anyway to incorporate the SOTW pics into the timeline instead of using the stickers sold by the add a century people or not worth the hassle?

My timeline stickers I made are pretty much just that - stickers. They aren't meant to be removable. I've often thought of putting a magnetic strip in the back of the timeline and making little magnets though. I love magnets! It would be fun to be able to take them off and test my child on where they would go.

Here's a blog post where I talked about how I could make my own timeline stickers. I haven't done much since then, but I'm about to start again.

I thought this was so COOL and had to have it-but we could never get it off the ground-too complicated to make the figures the right size, etc. It's been sitting on the shelf for a year.

We do better with our old Sonlight timeline book-they make the figures and stick them in-no worries about size.

ETA: oooh-I didn't know they sold the stickers now! Great idea, but they only have Ancients and not that many come in it and they are $$$.

Edited by HappyGrace

We have it, but haven't put it together yet. I did buy the binder, which is really nice. It didn't come with figures; we have our own from Homeschool in the Woods (the History through the Ages). They are a bit big, but I figure that I don't plan to put in all the categories anyway. And it's a much larger space than the timeline we were using before. So even though our figures are 4x what they show pictured, I'm ok with that.

I am having trouble trying to decide which categories to use for the different time periods. I kind-of wanted them by area (Greek, Roman, etc) for the ancients, so it's still sitting on the shelf until I can figure it out.

You don't even need stickers- you could glue them in. That's what we've done with ours. The kids color them first. We've actually laminated ours with clear packing tape (or clear contact paper) first and I'm considering putting them in with tape or sticky tack so they can be moved around. But I haven't decided about that either.

I'd love to hear what others have done with theirs.

• 2 months later...

There is something they use called an

Ancient Line

The Ancient Line is a simple way to document the first 3000 years on your Timeline without using 60 pages of card stock for a handful of recorded events! This ribbon portion of your Timeline is designed for the 2-page-per-century layout, but as with the rest of the Add-A-Century Timeline system, you can use it for however many years you choose!

http://www.addacentury.com/ideas/blog.html