Menu

s/o Four Books for the Middle Ages/Ren

Is there a "less than college reading level" version of the Nibelungenlied?

I don't know what "college reading level" would be.

It's the same as with the Odyssey and Iliad: there are numerous prose retellings, some geared towards children and young adults (I fondly remember several versions I read as a kid), and then there are verse translations. Not sure which one we are going to use.

First and foremost, Dante. If you miss out on Dante, you pretty much missed out on the best the middle ages have to offer - Commedia is such an emblematic middle ages work, a real "encyclopedia" of its time, and I would definitely include it. Maybe not in its entirety lest you get lost in breadth and lose out on depth, but about a third of the work with excerpts from all three parts would be good. I also suggest reading Epistola a Cangrande for the sake of getting the idea of multiple levels of Biblical interpretation that Dante introduces and that is quite important for the whole allegorical context and the importance of allegory in middle ages.

Next, honestly, it might be a national bias, but speaking of Renaissance, I would do Tasso (Jerusalem Delievered), it is historically relevant (you can tie it perfectly to History studies because of its plot and setting). Tasso also works wonders to connect it to English literature - Spenser used its elements in The Faerie Queene and if you read Milton you will notice Tasso's relevance too.

While we are at Milton, I definitely nominate Paradise Lost next. If you have to choose between Tasso and Milton, choose Milton, but I would personally do both.

For the forth work, I would probably try to combine Decameron (at least in excerpts which you find acceptable), Cid and Song of Roland, or choose one of those to focus on them.

Of course, to make the course more complete, it would be very useful to add in one Shax, one Calderon, a bit of Chaucer and a bit of Petrarca, but on the whole, I would pick something along those lines. It depends on where exactly you want to make the chronological "cut".