Menu

spelling curr. help?

I thought I had one picked out (I want to start in January, as we are halfway through OPGTR right now, and I'm guessing we'll be done or almost done at that point), but now I'm not sure. :confused: I was thinking about AAS, but I'm not sure if dd needs all that. She doesn't seem to need manipulatives at all to help her learn. At the same time, she is on the young side, so her handwriting skills are such that she won't really be able to do much if any writing. I'm not really big on things that have a lot of bells and whistles either, but if she can't do handwriting, I'm assuming my options are pretty limited. I'm also concerned about price, but again, if my options are limited, I could make it work. I do know I don't want to do anything on the computer.

Thanks!

Edited by RaeAnne
adding important details ;)

How about Phonics Pathways? It's affordable and seems to help with spelling...

Does this have explicit spelling instruction or practice? We are already using OPGTR, so we're set for phonics. We're about halfway through, and I am planning on starting the spelling in January, so we will be pretty far along by then.

Your DD is preK now? I say don't worry about spelling right now. It's normal for her to not be writing yet. Just keep going with OPGTR, and sometime in grades 1-3, start spelling.

Now I do use AAS with my first grader, and he doesn't need manipulatives to learn. I have him do the spelling with a dry erase marker on the white board. I only use the tiles to demonstrate a new concept. I just wouldn't recommend this or any spelling program in your situation. You don't need it yet. :)

She is young. I wouldn't invest in anything pricey yet, until you have time to read a lot of threads spread out over time.

I have learned a lot about spelling teaching in general over the past couple months, and have bought used pieces here and there or some of the pricey curricula to get a feel for them. A couple times I had a big order in at Amazon and they took so long to ship, that I was able to cancel, when yet again more research showed me that the curriculum wasn't quite what I was looking for.

CBD just shipped me How to Teach Spelling. This will be my first new and full package to arrive :-0 My fingers are crossed!

She is young. I wouldn't invest in anything pricey yet, until you have time to read a lot of threads spread out over time.

I would say I agree, but she is already asking to spell words on our fridge for fun. :lol: Waiting until January IS trying to hold off on it for awhile! :D

I have learned a lot about spelling teaching in general over the past couple months, and have bought used pieces here and there or some of the pricey curricula to get a feel for them. A couple times I had a big order in at Amazon and they took so long to ship, that I was able to cancel, when yet again more research showed me that the curriculum wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Yes, by the time I got to OPGTR, I had already purchased so many different things that I just got the book from the library, rather than risk wasting more money. That just HAD to be the one that worked, of course!

CBD just shipped me How to Teach Spelling. This will be my first new and full package to arrive :-0 My fingers are crossed!

Good luck!!

My oldest asked to spell words on the fridge too, and he was fine without a spelling curriculum :) Thee novelty may eventually wear off, but if it doesn't, you can give her simple words from OPGTR to spell on the fridge when she asks for it. I sometimes do that with my 4 year old to change up or reading lesson a bit.

Guest beadietux

My son is spelling and reading somewhere in the 4th to 5th grade level. What sort of curriculum are people using for this age/grade range?

Thanks!

My PreK girl always asks to spell words too. She wants me to spell all sorts of things out loud for her and then writes them down. She is a prolific writer. But she can't blend consistently! Ah, it's a funny stage. To be honest, I'd wait until reading is well established, THEN start AAS as both spelling and intensive phonics review.

We did AAS1 in conjunction with learning to read with my oldest DD, then waited for her to finish phonics before digging into AAS2. I sort of wish we'd waited to do spelling until she'd finished her phonics. With 2nd DD we are doing AAR Pre-1 while we wait for blending to really kick in :).

Umm, so I guess my answer is, "I'd wait."

My PreK girl always asks to spell words too. She wants me to spell all sorts of things out loud for her and then writes them down. She is a prolific writer. But she can't blend consistently! Ah, it's a funny stage. To be honest, I'd wait until reading is well established, THEN start AAS as both spelling and intensive phonics review.

We did AAS1 in conjunction with learning to read with my oldest DD, then waited for her to finish phonics before digging into AAS2. I sort of wish we'd waited to do spelling until she'd finished her phonics. With 2nd DD we are doing AAR Pre-1 while we wait for blending to really kick in :).

Umm, so I guess my answer is, "I'd wait."

Oh gee. I guess I only mentioned in my other spelling thread that we're halfway through OPGTR, and I'm just planning on spelling to start in January as that's when I figure we'll be almost done. No wonder I'm getting so many "comments." :glare:

This is what I get for posting late at night! :tongue_smilie:

And thanks for your recommendation. I think I'm leaning toward A&P. If AAS were free, I might try it, but there is just something about it makes it feel like it won't be ideal for us long-term.

Off to fix my OP.