Menu

Sports opportunities for homeschoolers

We live in a very small town. 2 of my sons love baseball and would like to play at the high school level. They are in a city league right now but that ends at age 15. What have your athletes done while homeschooling? I want to homeschool through high school so putting them in school is not an option at this point. What are your experiences with homeschool leagues, travelling teams, etc? Has anyone been able to play at the public or private school without attending classes there?

We live in a very small town. 2 of my sons love baseball and would like to play at the high school level. They are in a city league right now but that ends at age 15. What have your athletes done while homeschooling? I want to homeschool through high school so putting them in school is not an option at this point. What are your experiences with homeschool leagues, travelling teams, etc? Has anyone been able to play at the public or private school without attending classes there?

My dd was in a public school for three years, but came home for her final year. There was no problem with her continuing to swim for the high school team. It will depend on your state or district as to whether or not they allow home school students on the team. My youngest son ran track for CYO while being home schooled. Sometimes the parks and recs district will have teams. Your success in finding a team will depend on the size of community you live in as well. Our area is losing both public and private teams due to budget restrictions.

Another vote for it depends on your state regs and your district. NC is considering a bill that would allow kids to play on other public school teams if their own school doesn't offer a sport. This would work for a private school kids to play at his/her base school for, say, wrestling which is not offered at their private school. It would also work for any homeschooler. But that's on the horizon still.

Right now there are homeschool sports in the area. Some of them have enough teams that they play other homeschoolers. I have a friend whose son is on one such basketball team. They do travel a lot but he only plays other homeschool teams in the state.

I also know that some homeschool teams play against the local private schools. I think it was the homeschool baseball team beat a private school, badly. Then also some private schools allow homeschoolers to play for them.

On the HSLDA site it said that Mississippi does not have an equal access law for homeschoolers so it would be up to each district whether or not they allow homeschoolers to participate.

Lori, sometimes it is quicker to go to the source. Can you call your local high school and ask? Do you have friends that know the athletic director?