Menu

If your children are reading, do they need phonics?

tinkgumby

I've been planning my curriculum for the Fall (my boys are in K and 1st in public right now), and as I look over other people's plans, I see they have handwriting AND reading AND phonics AND grammar and so on.

My boys are both reading fairly well. They don't get every word perfect, but they're both reading short chapter books, and the more practice they get, the better they are.

Is it really necessary to continue with phonics instruction after children are reading? What have been your experiences with doing or not doing phonics? I see a lot of people mention Explode the Code - would you use that with a reader?

For Language Arts, I'm already planning on doing WWE and FLL this fall, along with Sonlight Read-Alouds and Readers, R&S handwriting, and some notebooking.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I was a good reader early on, and HATED phonics. My kids, however, could not read w/o phonics instruction. It depends a lot on the kid, I think. That said, a decent spelling program, and having your kidlet read aloud to you daily (so you can catch any errors in sounding out words and target specific problems with some phonics work) may be all you need.

I think I would continue to do phonics with your kids at least through syllable breakdowns, which will help them immensely both with their reading and their spelling. Considering all the LA you already plan to do, however, maybe don't do an entire phonics program, but just start at breaking down syllables.

I also think "If your kids can't spell, then what's the point" is a gross overstatement. Teach your kids read well and to write well-ordered, coherent passages. Then teach them to read and write even better. Their spelling will come along at a different pace (Your kids are young, after all.). When they keyboard, they will have the benefits of technology. If they never spell well, they will benefit from having an editor.

There's a whole, huge point to LA even for kids who don't spell well, who never will spell well. If I took the approach that LA is pointless without spelling well, my dyslexic son's education, like the education of every child with language-based differences, would grind to a sad, frustrating halt.

I've been struggling with this same question over the last few weeks. I think some kids really need and benefit from phonics instruction. I was recently asking about fun phonics programs that I could try with her. But upon further reflection, I think my dd has had all that she can stand, and all that's going to be productive for her, so we're dropping it.

I was an early and eager reader and a natural speller. So it's come as something of a surprise to me to find out my daughter does not have the same inclinations! She is a reluctant reader and a poor (though very phonetic) speller. I know most would say that sounds like exactly the kind of kid that needs phonics, but she hates it so intensely that I think it would be counterproductive to force it on her at this point. My plan is to continue having her read aloud to me every day, set aside some time every day for her to read silently to herself for enjoyment, and also to start doing the fluency reading exercise as described in WTM. Oh, and to continue with daily spelling practice! She definitely needs that.

Well, I don't know if that helps you at all. I think it really depends a lot on the child. From what you've said, I suspect your boys would be fine without phonics (the point of phonics is to get them reading fluently, and they're doing that, right?). But I would consider a formal spelling program if they need it, or copywork and/or dictation if they can pick it up that way.

I say KEEP doing phonics. My son was a very early reader, and so I did not keep doing phonics. He is not such a great speller, and I think that if I would have kept doing phonics, it would have helped him sooo much.

So, even if they know how to read, I think it will help cement those spelling rules:)

Well, you never can be too careful when it comes to phonics IMO. My aunt learned phonics from her DH because she couldn't sound out unfamiliar words after learning to read by sight. My DD is reading everything, including this LOL and I am making her finish OPG and ETC to be safe.

Thanks for all your responses!!!

I looked into All About Spelling enough to know I wanted to do it this fall, but I haven't actually used it yet, so I guess the part about it including solid phonics sort of escaped me. :D So . . . yay! Guess I'm covered.

Eliana, your point is well taken - I am a book lover, and my husband isn't, and I certainly want to raise my kids up to love reading! I will try my best to keep that in mind with everything I'm working towards. (:

I don't think a child who is reading fluently would (generally) need a phonics program if s/he is doing a spelling program... and I know my kids would have gone bonkers if I'd tried to use one once they were reading!

The most I would suggest is to continue to have the child read to you a few times a week (I make it a very desirable thing - I choose a really fun/exciting book and we save it for when we take turns reading to each other. (I do try to choose one which will also stretch the child a little.) If s/he hasn't mastered a few skills, they will come up quite naturally and can be gently addressed in the moment.

:iagree:

This is one of those issues which I think can trick us into choosing short term over long term goals... Personally, my highest priority in "teaching" reading is to create passionate, skilled readers.

I don't understand what you mean here. :confused: I think that if one skips phonics because the child is already reading, that would be choosing the short term goal. As they are expected to read at a higher level it could cause problems in the long term. What are your thoughts? :bigear:

Tink, it seems AAS will have you covered!:001_smile: