Menu

Need help with Shakiespeare project

By now, you are all thinking I can't do anything for myself, aren't you?

On to the next great "idea.":tongue_smilie:

We are ending up doing more Shakespeare than I planned this year and are loving it. The added bonus is having my dd home to share the discussions with her brother. Anyway, I would like Swimmer Dude to have something physical to remember our studies with and frankly, a little hard work and thought wouldn't hurt him.:D

History Odyssey has the student read a retelling of one of Shakespeare's plays, write their own retelling of the play 2-3 pages and then color a page from a Shakespeare coloring book. You put everything together to make a book. This is not quite up the Dude's alley.

My thought is to make a two-page layout, front and back, for each play that could be stored in a pocket protector. The front page would have the title, a graphic from a live presentation, the name of the live version we viewed and a block of the Dude's favorite quote or soliloquy. The back would probably have a brief literary elements run down: plot, settings, character, major conflict, etc. We love watching the professor that does the TC lectures on Shakespeare and I thought I might include a small box with a"Peter Saccio moment." The kids always find some cool fact they didn't know while listening to his lectures. I will even let Swimmer Dude give the play a rating. There's probably not enough room for historical context and hopefully we'll hit that in the plot and setting.

Are you all with me so far? Okay, here is the problem. I am not exactly a graphics genius when it comes to the computer. Part of the problem is that I am fairly good at graphic design free hand but not so skilled on the computer. Does anyone have an idea for templates I could tweak toget what I have listed above. Can I accomplish this with Microsoft Office?

I would use the same template for every play.

:lurk5:

This idea sounds interesting! We're starting our Year of Shakespeare in mid September so I'm rounding up ideas and making plans. Here are some of the things I've found so far:

We're using No-Fear Shakespeare and Nesbit's Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare. Nesbit's is free on Project Gutenberg.

I found a great interactive site for Romeo and Juliet:

http://www.canadianshakespeares.ca/folio/folio.html

We're going to make the Globe Theater from Paper Toys:

http://www.papertoys.com/globe.htm

Shakespeare Timeline:

http://shakespeare.palomar.edu/timeline/timeline.htm

BBC Animated Tales:

http://www.squidoo.com/shakespeare-animated-tales

How about these notebooking pages as a starting point?

Karen, those are a great starting point. Do you know if when you create pages like those, do you need to create text boxes for each part? So where the drawing is, that would be a box and you would place another box for where the text goes? I think I need to take some kind of class. I come up with these ideas and want to execute them but my computer sessions ends in the use of unsavory language being muttered under my breath. I made a booklet for our epics study and am pleased with the way it turned out, but it took way too long to do.

Thanks to everyone else for the great resources. In a couple of weeks we are hosting a group here to do the 45 minute King Lear in a box. We are feeding the group of high school and middle school students; they are putting on the play, and then we are going to watch a film version. It should be fun. Thanks to Jane in NC for the idea.

I'd use text boxes for everyting to keep the layout the way you want it. You can do underlines inside the boxes to get blank lines. You can make one and save it as a template, then have your ds add in the graphics and himself using some online clip art. Then he can print it out and write in the blanks.

You can choose insert and shape. Enable the drawing toolbar if you are in office 2003 or earlier. Click the tab insert and the drawing shapes for 2007 and later.

:) I taught office once upon a time. If you need anything, give me a pm.