Menu

When did you start memorization?

mrsriley81

My 7 1/2 yr old, started classical conversations when he was 6 and did really well with the memorization. I actually was impressed with all that he could memorize. History sentences, timeline events from veritas press and etc.

And what did you start with? I have a rising Kindergartener and a rising second grader and want to start memorization. What did your early years lists look like?

We started at 4.5yo. We have never memorized lists. We stick to poetry, scripture and songs. We did it like it is recommended in WTM, saying it just once or twice per day. We do things that dd can memorize in 1-2 weeks, though we will occasionally tackle something longer. Dd often chooses poetry from poetry books that I keep on hand. Scriptures often come from Sunday school challenges.

Started at 3 &5. We still do it at ages 10 & 12.

We started with poetry and still do lots of it, but also Latin recitation and facts/definitions for each subject. Most young children love Robert Louis Stevenson, and he has tons of poems suitable to memorize. My kids really like the history-based poems as well, like "William the Conquerer in 1066" and "Henry the 8th was full of beans." I don't remember any titles, but I know we had some books with geography and science poems as well.

We keep our memory work in a binder, but I like to have a stack of nice poetry books for them to peruse as well. I really like the Poetry for Young People series, it has lovely color illustrations and simple annotation:

http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Young-People-William-Shakespeare/dp/1402754787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304214985&sr=8-1

To keep things lively, alternate between longer, harder pieces and short, silly pieces. Like Miss Doud, a silly favorite in this house:

A mouse in her room woke Miss Doud

Scared her enough to scream out loud

Then a happy thought hit her

To scare off the critter

She sat up in bed and meowed

At church, my kids have started at 3, learning books of the Bible, days of creation, 12 sons of Jacob, 10 plagues, 12 apostles, and various verses here and there. I've always been amazed at how much they can memorize at that age. Even my speech delayed child (who started talking at 3) had all the books of the Old Testament memorized before he turned 4. Putting it to song helps a lot. ;)

As far as school memorization goes, I've been kind of lax. :tongue_smilie:But this being our first year, I am not fretting. We're doing the poetry memorization in FLL, and they still do memorization for church regularly. I will eventually add more.

I taught my son his first scripture verse at age 3. At age 4 or 5 I bought "Seeds of Faith" and other "Seeds" CDs so he could memorize scripture. At 6 he was in CC...We've always done it. Put things around yourself to help them memorize. It's what they love and do best at this age. If it's poetry you want them to remember, read a poem to them every day for a week, and have them try to be able to say it with you at the end of the week.

I think if you make memory work like "work" they will resist. If you act like it's fun, or don't even mention "memorizing" they will do it naturally. No one taught me to memorize the Keebler "Tato skins" commercial when I was a kid, but I still remember every. single. word. to this day. I wish it was something useful. They don't even make those things anymore.

Copied from an older post:

We do it in the car. Each kid has a "smarty pants" notebook. It is tabbed into sections:

- Bible

- Math

- Geography

- Timeline

- History

- Presidents

- Foreign Languages

- Science

- Music/Art

For almost everything we are memorizing, we use music initially. I have printed off a page for each item we have memorized, and they just follow along and sing. Once they are confident, we do it without the notebook, and I "try to trick" them. ("Aw, man, you knew that one too??? Y'all are so smart!!! But I bet you won't know this next one!")

I frantically change CDs as I drive and we just review as we go. For the most part, that's the only work we do on memory stuff, but they have learned so much!

- Bible verses: AWANA CDs

- The Ten Commandments: Veritas Press Blue CD with the board book "Hand Commands" by Ann Dunagan

- Books of the Bible: Classical Conversations CD with Bible Bookcase poster

- Christian catechism: Songs for Saplings

- Skip Counting: One Hundred Sheep (Christian) with hundreds chart

- Geography (solar system, continents & oceans, states): Audio Memory's Geography Songs CD (I am NOT a huge fan of the states & capitals CD)

- Timeline: I plan to use the Veritas Press CDs & cards (but haven't started this yet)

- Presidents: Veritas Press Yellow

- everything else: Classical Conversations Memory Work CDs (haven't started CC yet)