Menu

Primary Grade Challenge Math

mnemom

Has anyone used this workbook? I can't find any sample pages of it and am wondering what kind of problems it contains. I'm looking for something for fun/enrichment/review of first grade math. Challenge Math has been mentioned on this site but I'm having a hard time finding details about it. Thanks!

We really like this book I don't think we would have gotten a lot out of it at the end of first grade, but there is probably a little bit you would have fun with. If you are looking for a fun review of first grade concepts, this is not it, I don't think. Hickory Press is the publisher. You might email them and ask your questions and request an email sample.

Here are a couple of examples from level 1:

A 400 pound gorilla is going to carry a 585 pound rock across a bridge that can safely hold 1000 pounds. Is this a safe amount of weight?

Chocolate peanuts cost 50 cents an ounce. How much would a pound cost?

If a 15 pound chicken will feed 30 people, how many people will

a 5 pound chicken feed?

Daniel earned $2 helping his mom learn how to use the computer. If Daniel earned $2 every day, how much would he earn in a year?

There are many sections, making it very interesting and fun, but there is a lot of multiplication, division, and some fractions, even at level 1. The last half of the book goes into conversion factors for units of measurement, decimals, pi, solving for an unknown (simple algebra), exponents and squares (also with the 4 levels). HTH.

We really like this book I don't think we would have gotten a lot out of it at the end of first grade, but there is probably a little bit you would have fun with. If you are looking for a fun review of first grade concepts, this is not it, I don't think. Hickory Press is the publisher. You might email them and ask your questions and request an email sample.

Here are a couple of examples from level 1:

A 400 pound gorilla is going to carry a 585 pound rock across a bridge that can safely hold 1000 pounds. Is this a safe amount of weight?

Chocolate peanuts cost 50 cents an ounce. How much would a pound cost?

If a 15 pound chicken will feed 30 people, how many people will

a 5 pound chicken feed?

Daniel earned $2 helping his mom learn how to use the computer. If Daniel earned $2 every day, how much would he earn in a year?

There are many sections, making it very interesting and fun, but there is a lot of multiplication, division, and some fractions, even at level 1. The last half of the book goes into conversion factors for units of measurement, decimals, pi, solving for an unknown (simple algebra), exponents and squares (also with the 4 levels). HTH.

:iagree: my ds really enjoys PCM but it isn't a review book. It's a book that allows him to explore more advanced topics but written for his age in mind. We don't use it consistently, it's a fun extra.

I agree with previous posters that it's not a review of 1st grade math. I've used the first six chapters with my second grader this year. He's strong in math and working slightly above grade level. He does well with the first three levels and we work together through the Einstein level (of each chapter). He really enjoys the challenge. It's a great addition to math for us.

I would also add that even though higher level math is included in this book, it is meant to be started before kids are fluent in multiplication and division. In part it helps kids to see new ways of thinking about and grouping numbers. Hearing Ed Zaccarro speak helped me understand these books better.