Menu

Help...looking for a minivan

We just sold our Yukon XL tonight to save money on gas mileage. I need to find a minivan that is roomy and seats 8 people. I'm looking for a used one (2002 - 2005). Any ideas what kinds of vans are roomy, good gas mileage that you've been happy with?

We just bought a 2005 Pontiac Montana. It seats 8, but in order to do so, the middle row had three captain seats squished in together. There was absolutely no access to the back row without folding down or climbing over seats. This isn't a problem for us, since we only have 3 kids, so we just took out the middle seat in the middle row and usually leave one seat in the middle folded down for more access to the back. I'm not sure if constantly folding down a seat is something you'd be willing to put up with. But it is very roomy and there's a good amount of cargo space in the back. We haven't been able to figure out gas mileage yet, because my mom took it a few times to fill up and forgot to write down the numbers. We are pretty sure it's doing better than our old Xterra, which got about 15mpg.

Fitting 8 people in a minivan isn't going to be roomy, I don't think, no matter what van you have. If you want room, unfortunately, you're going to have to go with a regular van.

We have a 2001 Town and Country. We took out the captain's chairs and installed a bench in the middle row, that DH found at a junkyard. We all fit (1 rear facing seat, 2 forward facings, 1 high back booster, and 2 not in boosters anymore, plus DH and I up front), but it's tight, and we're looking/hoping/praying fervently for a 12 (or better yet... a 15!) passenger van, so the kids aren't so scrunched for the next 8 years or so.

We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna 8-seater. It can get a bit squeezy with 8 but if some of those are smaller then it's not too bad. Gets 22 mpg in the city, plenty of cargo room, and if needed you can take out the seats (or just fold them down) and carry a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. Dh likes that part of it.