Menu

Spanish 1-3 input please

DD is 9th this year and has worked through 1/2 of the Visual Link Spanish this year - she had a lot of other courses and Spanish wasn't a priority. She has to have 3 years for the colleges she's interested in. She likes Visual Link better than Rosetta Stone - but really prefers a workbook format. She likes the looks of AOP.

So, with that info. If I count this year as a 1/2 credit Intro to Spanish then next year do the other 1/2 of Visual Link w/ AOP Spanish I would that be enough for 1 high school credit. Then we would do Visual Link II w/ AOP Spanish II for 11th grade. What would I do for her 3rd year? Would she have enough under her belt to do a Community College Spanish course? Should I do Rosetta Stone w/ her - I have levels 1-3 already for my ds who is a different learning style.

She really needs the reinforcement - she's a very bright girl - but a foreign language isn't sinking in. She is doing well w/ ASL - but we've used ASL since she was a small child bec she has a second cousin that is deaf and in my former life I was a college adm for Disabled Student Services and worked w/ Deaf and HH. But, ASL won't count as a foreign Lang requirement only as an extra elective.

But, ASL won't count as a foreign Lang requirement only as an extra elective.

I'm curious if you know this as a fact for the colleges that your daughter is interested in. I do know that many college will accept ASL as fulfilling a foreign language requirement for admission.

Regards,

Kareni

Rosetta Stone and Tell Me More were both flops for my dd. Visual Link is working very well for her though. I'm having her complete levels I and II this year to count as high school Spanish I. Next year she'll take Spanish I and Spanish II at the cc to finish out the three years of foreign language she needs. She might take Spanish III, but she probably won't.

I'm curious if you know this as a fact for the colleges that your daughter is interested in. I do know that many college will accept ASL as fulfilling a foreign language requirement for admission.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, all the colleges we've looked at will consider it an elective - but not a foreign language requirement. One said they might but then she would need to select another foreign language to fulfill college credit.

Yes, all the colleges we've looked at will consider it an elective - but not a foreign language requirement. One said they might but then she would need to select another foreign language to fulfill college credit.

Thank you for the added detail, momtotkbb. It's always interesting to hear how different colleges treat a given situation.

Regards,

Kareni