Menu

HOD Preparing question

kwickimom

I dd post this in the HOD boards and yahoo group, but figured I would check here too.

If you follow or plan on following the 4 day plan as written, what did you/are you going to do on day 5? I really kind of like doing a 5 day school week to keep a schedule and so we dont get bored (we dont have a co op close or anything)

I was thinking of adding in some reading of course (classics/fun) and maybe doing Apologia to beef up Science. I really want to do the program as written, but I do need some back up ideas if we need to do a 5th day. Just wondering what you all are doing. thanks!

I will also have 2 little ones in Beyond, which are written for 5 days, so I am thinking that the 5th day will be for my oldest (who will be in Preparing) to double check and catch up on anything that needed corrections as well as some added art/science/whatever we want studies. We still plan on playing with Meet the Masters, Artistic Pursuits and REAL Science Odyssey. Please take my input with a grain of salt since we haven't begun using HoD yet, I'm still in the planning stage. We anticipate starting our "new year" in June. :)

We often save the science experiment and history project for Fridays (unless the project is something that requires dry time or something). And, I always make the kids do math and reading as well. It is a shorter day for us and I like that. It leaves time for my boys to play outside, build things, etc. AND, for next year, it will be a co-op day.

When we used Preparing, we often had things to do on the 5th day that we weren't able to get done on the other days. My son was a 5th grader and he used the Extension books. We followed the TM very closely and mostly used HOD's recommendations. We did use a different math and we added in some language study. We did different things on that last day, just depending on what didn't get done earlier. Like Sue, it was often the science or history activities. Preparing is pretty full, especially with the extension books. We rarely were able to get everything done in four days. I know some are able to, but we weren't. It's a great program. I hope you like it!

We would do any science or history projects that weren't finished during the week. We also reviewed our Bible verse and poem and added Art Appreciation, Music, PE & Health. I am trying to remember if that is the year we did our state study....I might have added that in as well.

HTH

Edited by kayinpa