Menu

Wester's Speller andTime for child to read-aloud to me?

warriormom

My son is a pretty good reader. We finished TYCR100 EZ lessons. We have worked on Webster's Syllabary (he really picked up this concept) and some of the spelling lists. He is almost 5.5. Somehow it is really bothering me to NOT have him read-aloud to me since we are just doing Webster's spelling lists. He is good at sounding out (a little d and b confusion). How much time should I have him read-aloud to me a day? Do you have any recommendations for me? I am a novice since this is my first kid :)BTW, ds will be attending a half-day Classical Christian kindergarten next year that is Phonics-based. They will either use Saxon phonics or SWR.

Edited by cabreban

I'm also on my first kid, so take this with a grain of salt.

We did 100EZ lessons, and now are doing the syllabary and Explode the Code.

At the breakfast table, I mark down pieces of the syllabary for him to read. We haven't gotten to the word lists yet, because we just started. This takes 5 minutes max.

After lunch, we do 4 pages of ETC, and then he reads 2-3 pages from I Can Read books- right now we are doing the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. I much prefer these books, even though he hasn't yet mastered all of phonics that he needs to read them fluently, because the stories are very interesting and funny. He is very willing to read them because of the fun characters.

I like to wait until Webster's is done for reading, but you can use the I See Sam books if you wish, they go along well with Webster's.

It actually moves along faster just to work through the words--when I did a few books with my daughter early on, it slowed down her long term progress, so I stopped using books. Once she had finished Webster's Speller, she could read anything! But, she was still 5 so we mainly read board books or picture books written at a high grade level but appropriate for a 5 year old.