Menu

Looking for VideoText Algebra Haters

I am a VideoText Algebra hater.

I'm sure that it is a fine program. But it was not a good fit for my son. It didn't have enough review so by the time he got to the unit test he had forgotten some of the stuff from the beginning. I found that I was going to have to adapt it too much to suit our needs. Also, in trying to be rigorous it seemed to take itself way to seriously. We moved back to Jacobs and it was like a breath of fresh air.

I have read some negative reviews of VideoText Algebra but I can't seem to find specifics on why it wasn't liked. So if you have used VT for a fair amount of time and didn't like it, what about the program didn't work for you?

Thanks.

Price!:scared:!

Not a user. But we didn't buy it because:

1. dd didn't like the Algebra instructors on the sample DVD.

2. no textbook--I think it's important to have a book

3. price

4. We became convinced that Dolciani (older version) was the best course for us to do.

I am a VideoText Algebra hater.

I'm sure that it is a fine program. But it was not a good fit for my son. It didn't have enough review so by the time he got to the unit test he had forgotten some of the stuff from the beginning. I found that I was going to have to adapt it too much to suit our needs. Also, in trying to be rigorous it seemed to take itself way to seriously. We moved back to Jacobs and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Thanks. That is the type of input I wanted. I had heard about the necessity to make sure the concepts were totally cemented before moving on. I was glad to see that they have additional problems available online now.

Not a user. But we didn't buy it because:

1. dd didn't like the Algebra instructors on the sample DVD.

2. no textbook--I think it's important to have a book

3. price

4. We became convinced that Dolciani (older version) was the best course for us to do.

The samples made a lot of sense to us so I must be dealing with different types of learners. It is so interesting how one product can work so well for one family and be horrible for another. That is the reason for this posting asking users what specifically about the program did not work. That way I can tell if we would encounter the same issues or if it would be a positive for us.

The fact that the lecture notes are supposed to cover everything that the video covers is sufficient for me.

Price is definitely a consideration but doesn't really indicate whether the product itself is good or not. Plus for our family, the price breaks down to about $50/class/child even if I purchase it brand new which is less than I spend for jr/sr high math right now.

Price is definitely a consideration but doesn't really indicate whether the product itself is good or not. Plus for our family, the price breaks down to about $50/class/child even if I purchase it brand new which is less than I spend for jr/sr high math right now.

I agree that price doesn't make it bad or good. I was just giving all our reasons, not the only one:). I ended up paying less than $10 for the 1965 Dolciani, but didn't buy it for the price. Dd really needs a good, mathy math program and does like learning from a book. I also prefer a textbook rather than the sheets in a binder, but that also wasn't the main reason. We found the instructors dry, which is partly personal opinion. My dd did like the instructor for Chalk Dust, but we didn't go with that, either.

Honestly, my favourite Algebra text we've tried is Gelfand's with the theory, but some of the problems are just too hard for dd at this point. We're reading that alongside Dolciani (we like the theory the best in math, which may well be geek-factor coming into play;))

I agree that price doesn't make it bad or good. I was just giving all our reasons, not the only one:). I ended up paying less than $10 for the 1965 Dolciani, but didn't buy it for the price. Dd really needs a good, mathy math program and does like learning from a book. I also prefer a textbook rather than the sheets in a binder, but that also wasn't the main reason. We found the instructors dry, which is partly personal opinion. My dd did like the instructor for Chalk Dust, but we didn't go with that, either.

Honestly, my favourite Algebra text we've tried is Gelfand's with the theory, but some of the problems are just too hard for dd at this point. We're reading that alongside Dolciani (we like the theory the best in math, which may well be geek-factor coming into play;))

My dh learns well from reading books. Unfortunately, dc and I do not. That makes a huge difference in what works well. I have heard good things about Dolciani. I'm glad it is working well for you.

My dh learns well from reading books. Unfortunately, dc and I do not. That makes a huge difference in what works well. I have heard good things about Dolciani. I'm glad it is working well for you.

I understand! I have one dc who is very much an auditory learner, and I'm sure I'll either have to sit and teach him Algebra or find something like VideoText to help. But he's only 7, so he's not even close to Algebra yet.

I chose Video Text Algebra because Dr. Jay Wile recommended it and I respect his opinions. My sons, now graduated, tried to use it. These boys are not slackers (both excelled in other areas) but they had trouble keeping all the booklets straight and there wasn't enough review. There are several separate softcover books (not bound very well, btw) that you keep having to switch back and forth between. It was confusing and a major sore point with them. Neither of them ever finished and I feel like I really let them down mathwise.

I bought Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra for my daughter a few years later (TT wasn't available when my boys were in hs) and she flew through it. This is my piano-playing, sewing, gardening daughter who isn't really a math-type. She loved TT and can't wait for me to buy Alg. I.

Now maybe the boys just didn't get math (hard to accept that as they have gone on to work in mathy jobs). I just wish VT were laid out better.

Also, I injured my back in 1998 and had surgeries in 1999 and 2001. There were many, many days I could not be actively involved in their schooling and depended on them to organize themselves. Like I said, the VideoText was confusing to execute due to all the materials. If you can set it all up for your student and constantly track all they are doing, they might like having a Video teacher. If you have lots of other children and need your high schooler to be at least somewhat independent I would go with TT.

JMHO,

Kathleen in VA