Menu

FLL and repetition...how do you do it?

hsmom

We are not too far into the first book and already my son is complaining about the repetition. He hates too much repetition and gets bored easily with it.

How do you implement FLL? I love the program so far, but need to change things up a bit.

My son didn't need the repetition in book 1 either. He already understood the common vs proper noun thing pretty well. We did multiple lessons per day (started in March) and briefly mentioned the things in the lessons that we didn't need to spend so much time on. Instead of following the script, I'd say "You remember that state, country, kitchen... Those are all common nouns and don't get capitalized.", then we'd move on to the next lesson. We did 3-5 lessons per day, not skipping lessons, but quickly reviewing them and moving on. We finished in about a month and are in book 2 now. We're doing it as written, one lesson 3 days a week. My son is liking it better, since there are some new things. It's still pretty easy at this point, but he is getting grammar ingrained, so it will be automatic later on.

We switched from R&S 2, and I think that was more boring. It stayed on the same topic for WEEKS. At least FLL throws in poetry, picture narration, and story narration. Both seem equally easy (comparing levels 2). FLL2 has more variety though.

When the lesson states to repeat for three times, I tell my child if he can give me the definition, we can skip repeating it three times. This usually gets the child to be serious and not silly about the definitions! I still do the rest of the lesson. It's just the repeating that bugs us.