Menu

12th grade English...

If you had a child who very strongly disliked reading, what kind of books would you choose for 12th grade? Or would you? I am trying to walk a fine line of helping dd choose literature that doesn't bore her, but that is worthy of her reading. Pretty much any book on the Great Books list is out, I was thinking of something like a year of Pulitzer winning books since she doesn't really care for anything written more than 10 years ago. Any other ideas?

You could probably come up with a list of "modern classics" that she would enjoy. My brain is not fully caffeinated yet or I'd help with some titles.

You could get some books on CD or downloaded onto an MP3 player so that she would be exposed to some classic literature.

Another suggestion would be to get a literature textbook where the selections are short compared to classic novels.

My dd was a very slow reader and my ds is a kid who doesn't like being cut off from society by reading.

If I'm choosing (vs. using a scheduled program), then I tend to chose books that I think are important works, but are fairly short or somewhat on the easy end, if she hasn't read them and they are well known and often-quoted.

Easier:

Tom Sawyer

Alice in Wonderland

Call of the Wild

The Hobbit

Slightly harder but still do-able and important (with guidance):

Mockingbird

Animal Farm

Lord of the Flies

Across 5 Aprils

Shakespeare & other plays

The Bible :)

Some short ones I think are valuable to know when you hear them referenced:

Christmas Carol

Old Man & The Sea

The Pearl

One Day in the Life of Ivan D.

Red Badge of Courage

Wrinkle in Time or Perelandra

Some short stories like Kipling

I also think audiobooks and even movies can be good ways to become familiar with classics.

I personally will allow easy but not fluff for high school credit.

Julie

Thanks everybody for your replies. I've been mulling around some titles, but it's still a list in progress. So far I've got Atonement,The Road, and maybe Wuthering Heights.

You could probably come up with a list of "modern classics" that she would enjoy. My brain is not fully caffeinated yet or I'd help with some titles.

I'm looking.It's just hard to find something that's not incredibly depressing or long winded.

Another suggestion would be to get a literature textbook where the selections are short compared to classic novels.

I ordered Holt's Elements of Literature for 12th grade, but it's heavier on ancient & middle ages. I'm still thinking about this one though.

How does she feel about non-fiction? If she has a particular interest (sports, minerals, fish, medicine, cosmetics), you might design a course that features readings in that area.

I thought about that, but she's going to be doing a lot of non-fiction reading for her history & science classes, so I don't want to kill her with it.

My dd was a very slow reader and my ds is a kid who doesn't like being cut off from society by reading. This is so my dd...

If I'm choosing (vs. using a scheduled program), then I tend to chose books that I think are important works, but are fairly short or somewhat on the easy end, if she hasn't read them and they are well known and often-quoted.

Easier:

Tom Sawyer

Alice in Wonderland

Call of the Wild

The Hobbit

Slightly harder but still do-able and important (with guidance):

Mockingbird

Animal Farm

Lord of the Flies

Across 5 Aprils

Shakespeare & other plays

The Bible :)

Some short ones I think are valuable to know when you hear them referenced:

Christmas Carol

Old Man & The Sea

The Pearl

One Day in the Life of Ivan D.

Red Badge of Courage

Wrinkle in Time or Perelandra

Some short stories like Kipling

I also think audiobooks and even movies can be good ways to become familiar with classics.

I personally will allow easy but not fluff for high school credit.

Julie

She's already read a good portion of those. However, there are some over the years that I had on the TO READ list, but didn't get to so maybe I'll add those. Although, I suspect that they didn't get read for a reason.:glare: