Menu

Wordy Math Programs??

mom2bee

I'm looking for information on Math programs that have a strong, strong, strong, very strong focus on word and application problems.

I only know of Rays and Verbal Math Lesson. Are there any others where it is a normal math program, but most (all) of the problems are words problems?

I don't care what grades it covers, only that its a full curriculum.

Something that covers arithmetic, algebra and other primary math (ratios, proportion, percents, fractions, etc) would be golden.

Besides Singapore with the Challenging Word Problems, you could look at Life of Fred. It currently goes from about 5th grade math up to Calculus, but I think the author is working on elementary math too. Primary Challenge Math and Challenge Math and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius by Zaccaro are focused on solving word problems. Also, I love the Murderous Maths books, which are not really a program, but are clever and wordy.

Not a standalone program, but there are many application and word problem in Zaccaro's books: Primary Grade Challenge Math, Challenge Math, Becoming a Problem Solving Genius and Real World Algebra.