Menu

Help for High School (Bravewriter)

We used this, and I did not schedule it. Since it is written to the student, our son worked on it about 1 hour per day and completed the book in a semester or so. I made a copy of HFHS and put it in his binder. He put his work in the binder after the assignment. I provided input when he asked. Independent work is one of the positives of HFHS. The student just needs to read and follow directions.

In answer to Violet's questions, HFHS is an essay curriculum. It includes writing an exploratory essay leading to an expository essay with documented support. It can be used with any persuasive topic. It does not address literature analysis.

We used this, and I did not schedule it. Since it is written to the student, our son worked on it about 1 hour per day and completed the book in a semester or so. I made a copy of HFHS and put it in his binder. He put his work in the binder after the assignment. I provided input when he asked. Independent work is one of the positives of HFHS. The student just needs to read and follow directions.

In answer to Violet's questions, HFHS is an essay curriculum. It includes writing an exploratory essay leading to an expository essay with documented support. It can be used with any persuasive topic. It does not address literature analysis.

Thanks! I think I may have asked my question incorrectly. I was wondering if the assignments were open so that one could apply the assignments to the books being used--essays on the material they are reading in history/lit. Or does she give the kids specific things to write about? Does that make sense? I am looking for a high school essay program, though, so this sounds like it might be a good fit. Not looking for lit analysis.

Yes, you can apply the essays to any topic. There are no assigned topics. However, the samples are contemporary topics. Julie includes exercises and information that are not usually included in a typical high school essay curriculum; i.e. observing an idea, thesis with tension, the value of good questions, etc. I especially like the way Julie handles body paragraphs; i.e. points and particulars. She also includes excellent instruction on paraphrase and summary.

Edited by 1Togo