Menu

Apologia Marine Biology

Would someone who has used this course give me a review? Also, where do I buy the lab kit? What extras do I need on hand? He will not go near dissecting animals. Is there a virtual dissecting site?

This will be our first official high school science course for my very non mathy oldest son. He chose this over regular biology. I am just a bit nervous about messing up.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Just as a thought, Biology is a pre-requisite for Marine Biology with Apologia. They assume the student has already studied Biology and knows the subject.

My oldest did their Marine Bio course, but it was about 3 years ago and I didn't keep it. Therefore, I can't look at it now and tell you what, specifically, they need to know. I do know my oldest was surprised at the depth of the course... but he did well on it.

He wasn't going into a science major, so we didn't use it as a lab science (Bio and Chem were his two). However, he did dissect a fish from our pond and a freshwater clam from the creek next to our property. If your family or extended family is into fishing, etc, don't be afraid to use "real" critters as opposed to the bought variety.

Just as a thought, Biology is a pre-requisite for Marine Biology with Apologia. They assume the student has already studied Biology and knows the subject.

I was going to say this, too, but didn't want to discourage the OP (not that I think you are discouraging her). Marine Bio moves fast and assumes a knowledge of Biology. I wouldn't recommend it as a first Bio course.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I was going to say this, too, but didn't want to discourage the OP (not that I think you are discouraging her). Marine Bio moves fast and assumes a knowledge of Biology. I wouldn't recommend it as a first Bio course.

Those were my thoughts also -- as they do a lot more dissections compared to Apologia Biology. I don't think this fact would discourage her... but am glad someone ELSE pointed that out. :D

I am not discouraged, no worries there. I checked the Apologia site but did not see the Biology pre-req.. I was looking for science where math was not an issue. Guess he will just have to wait.

I am so glad for the virtual site! This will be invaluable for him. Thank you!