Menu

PR- Help me think this through. Two kids, one accelerating...

sassenach

We started PR1 back in December. DD is now at week 20. I am bringing her through at a slightly accelerated pace. She may finish between 1 and 1.5 weeks per week. We were moving faster in the beginning, but she needs a slower pace for the spelling to gel. She is super language oriented. She does fantastic narrations, finds it very easy to come up with sentences. Her reading is on the back end of emerging.

DS is on week 31, and busting through 2-3 weeks at a time. His spelling is excellent. His reading is fantastic, but he HATES narration and dictation.

My debate is, do I keep them together for the PR2 lit study? DD will not be able to easily do the reading aloud, but she will absolutely understand the lit analysis. She won't have trouble with the writing (fine motor girl). If I keep them together, will that come back to bite me later? I do plan on continuing to accelerate ds through everything else, as long as he is able (or until we reach level 3). I try to keep them together as much as possible, but without intimately knowing the whole PR program, I'm afraid that I will cause some unforeseen grief for myself down the road.

Opinions?

My only thought is speed during dictation. You said ds hates dictation (mine does, too :D) so if that is an indicator that dictation takes some time for him AND dd can do dictation about the same speed, then keep them together. At most, you can just have them do the read aloud separately, but still do the notebook portions together. It shouldn't hurt anybody. If you find that is not working, then you can easily adjust.

You really can get through PR2 lit. study pretty quickly. Most of the time, the first scheduled days are reading aloud 1-1.5 pages in the lit. selection. As for the rest of the study, I'd definitely begin taking dd through at regular pace. It's going to pick up pace in grammar pretty quickly.