Menu

Just want to put in a plug for FLL

My kids both went through FLL 1/2 in first/second grade, then went on to R&S3. My ds is just finishing up R&S4, and my dd just finished R&S6.

Well, ds(4th) just reached the Prepositions chapter, and wasn't remembering his prepositions at all (the definition, the words, the phrases, anything). I pulled down the FLL book, and read the introduction to prepositions lesson. Then, I started reciting the list of prepositions they memorized in second grade. Both kids joined in and recited the list with me! It has been two years for ds, and 4 years for dd, since they memorized this list, and they still know it!

Ds had no trouble with prepositions in R&S after that.

That was fun. :001_smile:

Yay! Thanks for the positive report!

We started my oldest in R&S3 last year (by complete accident - had no idea about classical ed then) and he did well with it. I've purchased FLL and decided to use it with my two up-and-comers, and have wondered how it would transition. Thanks for the first-hand! :)

We also use FLL with my 8 & 9 year old daughters and we are all very happy with it. My 9 year old is doing the Level 3 book this year along with R&S English 3 and it makes the R&S so much easier. When my older kids did R&S (before we FLL was around) we experienced so much frustration and I wonder what they really learned. I truly believe that because of the foundation they have in grammar from the FLL books they now have an understanding and love of language rather than the fear and dread that my older girls had at that age (and older).

by not working in it every day so my daughter didn't finish it until the end of her 4th grade year. This was just the first book designed for 1st and 2nd grade. I then jumped her to Hake Grammar and Writing 6th grade (for her 5th grade year) and she's doing just fine in it. So it did give her a great start.

I just finished the lessons with my ds where prepositions are explained. I was thinking I should pull in my dd's on those lessons for a review! I had forgotten how well preps. are explained! She does a great job of explaining the state of being verbs too.