Menu

Susan Wise Bauer: 5th grade Modern Reading list ???

Rhondabee

Susan,

Next year my boys will be in 5th and 8th for the Modern Period. And, I am stymied when it comes to lit for my 5th grader.

On the "old" website, you had posted this:

7) Remember that the reading texts listed in the chapters on reading and writing (chapters 5, 17, and 26) are basically the same in level of difficulty for the entire four-year-period in which they appear. In other words, all grammar-stage books recommended in the reading chapter are at the difficulty level generally associated with Grades 2-4. Thus, a third-grader can read the books listed for Ancients (First Grade) or the books listed for Modern (Fourth Grade), depending on what year of history he is studying. A sixth grader can do the Medieval / Early Renaissance (Sixth Grade) or Late Renaissance / Early Modern (Seventh Grade) readings with equal ease.

And, I scrolled down to your example, and think I did right by having my 4th grader read the 3rd grade list this year. But, your example doesn't state what to do for 5th grade modern lit - it only mentions 5th grade history.

Though it does have the 6th grader reading the 7th grade list, the 8th grade list seems like a big stretch for a 5th grader who doesn't just LOVE reading (tho' admittedly, I'm not terribly familiar with the books yet).

We haven't read some of the 4th grade books. So, maybe we should do the non-abridged 4th grade books, and then attempt *some* of the 8th grade? (if so, can you please tell which ones would be easiest?)

Or, should I just peruse Honey for a Child's Heart and the SOTW-AG? I also have quite a few of the 8th-grade books in abridged versions, so I thought about doing those.

Or, do you think we should just jump in and do the originals all together?

Thank you for everything! I can't wait to see you in Atlanta this summer!

Rhonda

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I don't want to be presumptuous by responding to a question you posed to SWB, but I can recommend a resource you might consider. All Through the Ages by Christine Miller provides lists of literature arranged chronologically, subdivided for students of different ages. She has lists for 1st-3rd grade, 4-6th grade and 7-9th grade, and 10-12th grade.

The 4-6th grade list might be appropriate for your 5th grader.

maybe now that I have a couple of years of this under my belt, that wasn't nearly so intimidating as I remember! I didn't even remember them having actual "literature" as opposed to historical fiction.

Of course, since we'll be heading into modern times, I guess it's all becoming one and the same, huh?

:001_smile:

Rhonda

But, it's not that I don't have enough to choose from. Part of my dilemma is a matter of wanting to emphasize literature vs. history in our lit. time - and really wanting to know how hard I should push this guy.

Fourth grade was very coddle-y for him. Too many abridged books, and - well, really in every subject - he just seemed to have an easy go of things. A part of me really *wants* to push him - and do the 8th grade books all together (if you've read Nan's posts about her boys, something like that). But, frankly, I'm too ignorant to know. If only the example on the old website hadn't skirted the 5th grade lit issue - It was describing *exactly* the situation we have in our home.

I know Susan has been ill and away from home, so I'll wait patiently (or, not so patiently, but at least in quiet impatience!).

Thanks!

Rhonda

Another suggestion is to use SWB's SOTW Vol. 4 activity book, which lists recommended historical books and literature for each SOTW chapter. Each book indicates the recommended grade level. Some are for younger 4th-6th graders and some for 6th-8th graders. It really has a good variety of reading recommendations for each level.

hth

Sylvia