Menu

• 2 weeks later...

WE loved write guide for my son as a 8th grade beginning. Short and concise one page max reports. We started at the beginning of this year 9th, and he had some pretty hefty reports we had (together) planned out. The problem with write guide is you send your page in one time, and they respond one time in a 24 hour period, if you are late in the day getting it back, it may not come back with suggestions or corrections til late the next day.

After a month of this back and forth, for one 3 page report, we were done. The report could have been completed in a few days.

So, we are going the IEW route this upcoming year? we keep trying things...lol

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but we have been very happy with Write at Home. I think for a full course it is a bit pricey but basically you are paying for a private writing coach. My daughters have both taken full school year courses. My oldest daughter took the research paper workshop this spring and I was very happy with that. They also have a program that allows you to pay for individual papers at a time.

Hope that helps,

Elise in NC

I also like Write Guide; we will use it again. You will need to be careful, because they can drag one essay out f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I just told the tutor upfront how much time I wanted to spend on the assignment and when I was satisfied with it and ready to move on. I think they did an excellent job of explaining each and every suggestion or correction that they made.

My oldest is doing the Write at Home research paper class right now. We are getting very little feedback from them.

I'm using Write Guide right now. I agree with there being the definite possibility of dragging something out forever - but honestly, before we were doing WG my kids weren't writing any faster - they just would always put it off - there was a paper I assigned in the fall that dragged on for 3 months and then was horrible. And that's when I panicked. :D

At least now they have to work on writing every day. I am still making the assignments and I'm also helping to make things move along, as I do think one email a day (or in our case every other day, as they're sharing the tutor), isn't quite enough. For example, my dd was working on refining her outline. She showed it to me before passing it in, and things needed to be moved and added to. I told her I'd work with her on this piece, as it needed enough refinement that I thought it might take 2-3 back and forths before she'd be ready to move on, and I didn't want her to piddle about with it for that long. She was more willing to hear me, though, because she had a deadline and she knew someone else was going to be reading it.

You do get to deal directly with the WG tutor yourself. There is also one extra email a day available from parent->tutor and back. If I feel things should be tweaked, I use this avenue. I set the goal at the outset as being a finished paper every other week. Some have taken less, the latest ones have taken a bit more, as they're trying lit analysis papers for the first time and it's a steeper learning curve.

It is not perfect, but it is a big improvement over what we were (or weren't) doing in the fall. And if you've got more than one kid, it's fairly cost-effective vs. a course if you share the tutor. I guess I'm not seeing WG as replacing me as their writing teacher, but augmenting me and adding some for us much-needed accountability.