Menu

Not sure where to post this ... Equine science

Luanne

My daughter has decided she possibly wants a career in Equine Science. She doesn't want to be a vet though. What other job opportunities are available in this field and have any of you had any experience preparing someone for this? By the way, she would be able to attend CSU (Colorado State University) at some point in the future (which is supposed to be the best Equine Science school in the U.S.A.).

Thanks,

Luanne

She might be interested in Equine Assisted Therapy -- here's a link to the UC Davis Equine Assisted Therapy Gateway site: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAB/equineassistedtherapy.htm

I don't work directly in that field myself, although I do volunteer with an organization that offers equine recreational activities to disabled and at-risk youths and I have seen some equine therapy professionals at work. It's a fascinating field. There are many volunteer opportunities, so if your dd is interested, she might look into volunteer opportunites to get a taste of it.

I had an acquaintance who was a trainer who specialized in consultant work helping people train their "problem" horses. She loved her job and made a good living.

She could also teach equine science at a university.

My daughters are both horse crazy -- one wants to work part time as a trainer or assistant while she's in college (she volunteers now in the equine recreation program for disabled youth that I mentioned above) and one wants to be a vet (although she's little so may change her mind -- she volunteers in the same program).

My daughter has decided she possibly wants a career in Equine Science. She doesn't want to be a vet though. What other job opportunities are available in this field and have any of you had any experience preparing someone for this? By the way, she would be able to attend CSU (Colorado State University) at some point in the future (which is supposed to be the best Equine Science school in the U.S.A.).

Thanks,

Luanne

My dd has a very specific interest (large animal vet) that is not going away, and we have a good school available near enough. I called them to get exact information (not bothering to tell them that dd is 11, LOL.) It has been very motivating to her to know the level of work she needs to get into a competitive vet school. So, I would call the school and ask them directly! :) They may even have visit days or programs available before she attends.